Thread: CCI SV Not As Good As It Once Was

CCI SV Not As Good As It Once Was

I set two boxes of CCI SV in my loading block for my S&W 617 today to see how it works. The old stuff use to run with no problems and I could fire about 200 rounds before I had to clean the cylinders. Big Surprise this morning.

I started getting FTFs on the first cylinder and it never got better than that.

I only fired 50 rounds of the 100 I had set aside and had 13 FTFs. My 617 will shoot CCI Mini Mags all day long without a hiccup.

Before I realized it was just an ammo problem I took the gun apart and replaced the mainspring with a heavier one from Jerry Michulec. It didn't help. I got home and took out the firing pin to see if it had broken but it's still good.

Then I remembered it was the CCI SV. Well, at least I know my gun is totally clean now and the trigger pull is set to a decent 8.5 pounds on average with my Lyman Digital Scale. I'm going to set the SV aside for my Black Mamba and see how it works there.

That's annoying. I've mostly replaced CCI SV with Federal Champion 745 because I was fed up with the wax gunk on the SV and most other .22 ammo, but now that 745 is drying up I might have to eventually go back to SV..

Either way, if you can get them, those 525-round "family packs" of 745 are the ticket in my book.

On the CCISV, I've resorted to cleaning with paint thinner.

Flip over the box, slide out the tray with the noses up, "brush" with a moist rag. It's worked well for several hundred rounds. No mag fouling, bolt and breach face stay clean.

Takes about 2 minutes per box of 50
    Taking a break from social media.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    On the CCISV, I've resorted to cleaning with paint thinner.

Flip over the box, slide out the tray with the noses up, "brush" with a moist rag. It's worked well for several hundred rounds. No mag fouling, bolt and breach face stay clean.

Takes about 2 minutes per box of 50
    I have done this with Geco and all it needed was a dry paper towel due to their oilier lube. Will try the paint thinner on CCI stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List