Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a basic pistol cleaning kit?

Recommendations for a basic pistol cleaning kit?

So, the last time I was seriously looking for cleaning stuff for a pistol, I think I was in middle school. But I have a friend who’s a new shooter, and I’d like to get them a cleaning kit for their Glock. Rather than wade through the online miasma, I’ll just buy whatever the hive mind recommends. Doesn’t need to be fancy, just complete; it’s for Glocks. No rifles (yet).

Thanks in advance, folks, again—I’m using kit that was bought so long ago that the internet wasn’t even a thing. My screwdrivers have wood handles and my bottles of Hoppes 9 are actually made of glass.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I just went real basic: a bore snake, some non-toxic pump spray CLP, bottle of Slip2k, and some q tips. I grab some paper towels from the kitchen when it's time to clean.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I like Otis - maybe look at this one:

https://otistec.com/9mm-pistol-cleaning-kit-1/

Site Supporter
    I'd go with the traditional-style kit - a cleaning rod that rotates freely in the handle, a slotted tip, a jag, and a bore brush. While CLP is okay, I prefer separate solvent and lube, IME it just works better. I'd also go with cotton patches rather than synthetic, Southern Bloomer uses scraps from their undershirt production and is sold at Academy.

Glock cleaning rod and brush that came with the gun.

Maybe a Boresnake.

Glock pin punch.

4oz bottle of Break-Free CLP or whatever floats your boat.

GI style cleaning brush.

Small tube of Milcomm TW25B grease for trigger bar, mainly.

Roll of Scott Pro shop towels.

A few pipe cleaners and Q-tips.

Kits are generally a waste of money, one piece I want and a bunch I don't. Rather than buy your buddy a kit, give the gift of knowledge and show him how to use this list.

rod/brush it came with
    old toothbrush
    whatever CLP
    maybe a boresnake
    shop towels/q-tips
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I was shocked to find it on Amazon, but I use the heck out of my Roger's Squeege Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Rogers-Bore-S.../dp/B089DSJZJL

If you have the time:

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Glock cleaning rod and brush that came with the gun.

Maybe a Boresnake.

Glock pin punch.

4oz bottle of Break-Free CLP or whatever floats your boat.

GI style cleaning brush.

Small tube of Milcomm TW25B grease for trigger bar, mainly.

Roll of Scott Pro shop towels.

A few pipe cleaners and Q-tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Kits are generally a waste of money, one piece I want and a bunch I don't. Rather than buy your buddy a kit, give the gift of knowledge and show him how to use this list.

rod/brush it came with
    old toothbrush
    whatever CLP
    maybe a boresnake
    shop towels/q-tips
    This is how I feel as well. I’m a big fan of bore snakes. With a bore snake, a nylon brush, a Glock punch, your lube/cleaner of choice, and some rags or shop towels you can maintain a Glock (and most other generic polymer pistols) through its entire service life.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    This is how I feel as well. I’m a big fan of bore snakes. With a bore snake, a nylon brush, a Glock punch, your lube/cleaner of choice, and some rags or shop towels you can maintain a Glock (and most other generic polymer pistols) through its entire service life.
    Yep same here. Could never spend 50 on a fancy cleaning kit, if I'm buying a "kit" it would be a set of jags and/or bore brushes but that isn't worth it unless you own a whole slew of various cartridges.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

This is how I cleaned my revolver this morning...

Bore Snake each chamber and the barrel

Wipe the schmutz off with a paper napkin

A couple of drops of Tuff-Glide on the ejector rod, thumb piece, and cylinder stop

Check tightness on all the screws with a flat head bit in my Multitasker Twist

User Tag List