Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Suitable books for a 13yo boy

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Anyone who spends time outdoors should at least read the short story To Build a Fire.
    Second that.

"The Old Man and The Boy" by Robert Ruark would be great for both of you to read and discuss the stories together. It's a classic.

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Cheste...ps%2C94&sr=8-9
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

At that age I was devouring the original Robert Howard "Conan" stories, Mack Bolan books, Jaws (probably not age appropriate, I got in some trouble for reading it in 3rd grade), Burroughs' Tarzan novels, some Clancy, and everything I could find from Peter Capstick.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Lots of good suggestions here. One thing I’d add is the [actually] good modern fantasy options. I’d specifically recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson, but especially The Stormlight Archive series. I really enjoy them, even though I’m not as much into fantasy as I was as a kid, but there’s nothing in their content or style that would make them off limits for his age. These aren’t going to read like “old books,” if that ends up being a turnoff, but they’re long, detailed, and enjoyable reads that have some of the same “lessons” as books precious generations grew up with and which I’m enough of a traditionalist to say 13 year old boys (and girls) need (honor, courage, loyalty, etc.).

And while Lord of the Rings has been mentioned, I’d expand that to anything by Tolkien, including the recent complications of previously unpublished stories completed by Christopher.

Maybe not Children of Hurin quite yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    The Tarzan books, John Carter of Mars.
    These are the first ones that came to my mind.

Also, Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mocking Bird
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Has he read any Jack London? Call of the Wild or White Fang. Anyone who spends time outdoors should at least read the short story To Build a Fire.
    And this, the classics are a classic for a reason. I grew up in Jack London country so he was always one of my favorite authors. Hell, a book on the man is worth a read.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    At that age I was devouring the original Robert Howard "Conan" stories,
    Also, his Kull the Conqueror series. Another one along the same lines I enjoyed growing up was Urshurak by Brothers Hildebrandt.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-15-2022 at 01:29 PM.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Jaws (probably not age appropriate, I got in some trouble for reading it in 3rd grade)
    Ha! Same thing happened to me. I almost recommended it but decided not to for just that reason.

Roger Zelazny, The Amber Chronicles

Poul Anderson, Three Hearts and Three Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    All the Conan books by Robert E. Howard.

If you know anybody who's into manga and whose judgement you trust, ask them for some suggestions. Basically all of it is after my time, but they're hugely popular and can be quite sophisticated graphic novels.

It's not literature, but the complete Calvin & Hobbes would be a hit plus you get to read them too.

Silverlock by John Myers Myers is an awesome book. The more you've read other stuff, the more you get out of it. The main character goes on a journey where he meets many characters from legend and literature - Beowulf, the Green Knight, Robin hood,, Huck Finn, Izaak Walton (my personal favorite - author of The Compleat Angler and it took me forever to figure that out), etc. - but the story stands on its own.
    Silverlock is awesome, but definitely rewards a reader well versed in the Western literary canon. Although it might well spark an eager reader's interest in the classics.

Site Supporter
    By 13-14 I'd read Unintended Consequences, All of the available Rick Marcinko novels, and a ton of Heinlein (including Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough for Love) Asimov, Clancy, etc.

Admittedly, I was pretty damn far from a normal teenage kid. But being exposed to a lot of those adult situations in romance, politics, etc. helped keep my juvenile brain attentive to the written word. I'd say that it helped make me into a lifelong voracious reader as well as presenting some meaningful context for the hormonal intrigue instead of simply appealing to straight hormones.

Given the appeal of the internet and the absolute ease with which a teenager can see all the T&A they care for, I'd be reluctant to censor or limit reading material that presents the 'hormonal intrigue' with at least a passingly respectable context.

I agree with the Louis Lamour and Tom Clancy books.

I’d add The Frontiersmen and related books by Allan Eckert.

I’d also recommend biographies of significant American figures such as Daniel Boone and important Revolutionary Era people.

Books by and about Theodore Roosevelt are interesting as well, at least to me.

User Tag List