Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Suitable books for a 13yo boy

Site Supporter
    One of my favorite series of books when I was that age was the Horatio Hornblower series, by CS Forester, about a young man who ascends the ladder from midshipman to admiral in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am a Science Fictioneer.
    At that age I was reading Heinlein, there are a dozen intended "juveniles" from 'Rocket Ship Galileo' to 'Have Spacesuit, Will Travel'. But any of his older stuff will do, before Stranger.

'Little Fuzzy'. Piper knew his guns, too.

'Galactic Patrol' E.E. Smith, PhD. Very old, reads like the basis for an adventure movie. Except no comic relief sidekick. Sgt VanBuskirk of the Marines is NOT funny.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The problem with older people making recommendations is the things and writing styles that resonated with us don't necessarily resonate with kids today. For myself Robert Heinlein's juveniles, Andre Norton, Farley Mowat, etc all worked but might not be good recs for today's 13 year old (and to be fair I was reading most of those around 8 years old).

My stepson turned 20 a couple months back. Some youmg adult series I remember him liking around thirteen were Warriors, Ranger's Apprentice, and Artemis Fowl. Still may not be the best for today's kid but at least more proximate.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman.

I'm not sure if I would try to restrict a modern 13 yo boys choice of novels for content these days but it's a noble effort and I wish you all the best.

Site Supporter
    To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper

A Rifleman Went To War and The Emma Gees by Herbert W. McBride.

The Man Eaters of Tsavo - Lt. Col JH Patterson DSO

Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein.

With The old Breed - Eugene Sledge
    Last edited by HCM; 09-14-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    Has he read any Jack London? Call of the Wild or White Fang. Anyone who spends time outdoors should at least read the short story To Build a Fire.

Free digital copy: https://americanenglish.state.gov/fi...ild-a-fire.pdf

Carry The Wind by Terry C. Johnson was a pretty epic Mountain Man Story that I read at that age and I’m pretty sure is PG-13ish

I also enjoyed Michael Chrichton novels like Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain at his age.

Beyond the Sea of Ice by William Sarabande is a story about the pre-historic first people who crossed the land bridge into North America.

I agree and disagree with what @Half Moon said. I read as many older books as I did new fiction when I was his age. It really just depends on what he’s in the mood for. If you asked him what kind of stories he’s interested in and we could probably group source some more specific ideas. At his age I was reading a Vietnam War memoir one week Phillip K Dick science fiction the next and a Mountain Man Novel after that.

The Gold standard are the Heinlein "Juveniles".
    Intellectually challenging, morally grounded and realistic depictions of human nature. Very educational by way of Heinlein's unmatched storytelling ability. Anti authoritarian and free thinking.
    No icky girls.
    They are completely enjoyable by adults, unlike what passes for YA and juvenile stuff nowadays.
    Have Spacesuit, Will Travel: A high school senior wins second prize in a Moon trip contest. The Prize is a decommissioned spacesuit. He sets out to refurbish it. Lots of high altitude science and chemistry.
    The Rolling Stones. On the Moon, 2 fast talking teenage twins try to buy a spaceship to run a freight business to the asteroids. First, they have to get around their long suffering father. Laugh out loud funny. The Tribbles from Star Trek were lifted from here. Fusion, orbital mechanics, the effects of acceleration and zero G, as well as running a successful import/export business with tariffs, freight costs and taxes. A little light smuggling...how to build a still and supply it.
    Starman Jones
    Between Planets. On the brink of war between Earth and its colony Venus a young man tries to get home to Mars. Heinlein describes stealth technology and Cellphones. The grimmest and most violent, as it's set in a guerilla war.
    Space Cadet. THe UN enforces world peace with orbiting nuclear weapons.
    Time for the Stars. On the first interstellar voyage, telepathic twins are recruited as communicators. Describes the effects of time dilation in relativity.
    Star Beast
    Tunnel in the Sky, In the future colonizing new planets is much like emigrating West in the US frontier and it calls for specially trained Outworld survivor skills. High school kids are dropped on an unknown planet for their final exam. Heinlein describes Camelbacks and tacvests, The Truce of the Bear and the difference between a fox and a rabbit when it comes to survival.
    Citizen of the Galaxy
    Red Planet
    Farmer in the Sky
    . Land is cheap on Ganymede. Poor earth farmers learn to create soil and terraform Jupiter's moon.

Site Supporter
    I think I read all the Tom Clancy books up to Cardinal of the Kremlin around that age.

Maybe Pat McManus's stuff for humor.

Michael and Jeff Shaara's books (The Killer Angels and other historical war fiction) are non-sadistic, entertaining reads with a good historical base.

Lots of other good recommendations mentioned already.

Also: James Herriot.

I read a lot of the early Tom Clancy books when I was around that age. Might be up his alley if he wants to read Terminal List.

He may like Death in the Silent Places by Peter Capstick.

More than a few young guys really like Safari books.

User Tag List