Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: RFI: Suitable books for a 13yo boy

It's sort-of quaint now, but a library card and my reading choices being more or less unsupervised was hugely important to my intellectual development around that age.

If he's not too embarrassed to check it out, he's old enough to read it. We'll see if I feel that way when my kid is reading, but my 2 cents.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    It's sort-of quaint now, but a library card and my reading choices being more or less unsupervised was hugely important to my intellectual development around that age.

If he's not too embarrassed to check it out, he's old enough to read it. We'll see if I feel that way when my kid is reading, but my 2 cents.
    Me and a friend were successfully making our own beer at 16 because I happened to find a book about home brewing at the library and the local home brew guy didn’t have a problem selling ingredients to minors because “If you can make your own beer you’re old enough to drink it”

Maybe not the best example for RD62, but kids are gonna kid and that experiment taught me some important lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

I had a study class where the teacher would let you go to the library during the class. I got to read a lot of books because of him. He taught me to ask may I instead of can I.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Anyone suggest Alistair Maclean yet?

Guns of Navarone (WW II)
    Where Eagles Dare (WWII)
    Both made into pretty decent movies.

Ice Station Zebra (Cold War)
    Also a pretty good movie (at least Howard Hughes thought so )

When Eight Bells Toll (Cops & Robbers)
    Puppet on a Chain (more Cops & Robbers)

All feature manly men putting a PG-rated hurt on the various bad guys. Not bloodless, but not graphic.
    All are pretty good suspense novels. Loved them when I was that age.

HTH

Site Supporter
    If you want space opera - E.E. Smith's Lensman series.

If you like LOTR books, Raymond Feist's Mikdemia books. Dennis McKiernan has a series also that is pretty good.

Have we had any report from the OP as to what Junior has tried from our many recommendations?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List