Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Pistol Slide Lube

With the caveat that I primarily shoot Glocks, I just run tetragun lithium grease or something similar like lucas oil grease. But I’ve also grabbed some synth oil off the dipstick of the mini cooper S I owned at the time, too, so whatever. I say that as a guy who’s read many of the past threads here looking for a consensus—which never really manifested, beyond a general leaning towards “whatever.”

OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’ve been using some oil I bought online that came with some lubriplate grease I ordered. After a few years, that bottle is almost empty so I have some Slip 2000 in a similar sized little bottle. I’m guessing that will last me another five years. Once that’s done, I’ll probably buy a quart of some thicker motor oil like 20w-50. That will probably last me for the rest of my life unless the bottle starts leaking. I don’t generally use grease on my guns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I like TW-25B, it's a thin grease that doesn't migrate and doesn't make the action feel sluggish like thicker greases do.

https://mil-comm.com/tw25b/

Brand of lube is way down the list of things to care about, but having said that...

If you're using it on a carry gun that doesn't get shot/cleaned/lubed every few weeks, then I prefer TW25B. I've used it since 1995.

For range guns or stuff that gets cleaned/lubed often, I prefer a skin safe no or low odor type of product. Breakthrough Clean, Slip 2000, etc...

If availability is key, you can't beat Break-Free CLP, Rem-Oil, and WD-40. Your gun won't die, I promise.

For an all purpose spray lube I really love Rem-Oil. It basically the old TFL-50 that Bell Helicopter was using 40+ yrs ago.

Tough guys like Clint Smith and Patrick McNamara still use WD-40, so there.

Pat Rogers turned me on to Slip products, and I've been using them over a decade with no complaints. The jar of grease I bought probably ten years ago is still half full, and I suspect it will last until I'm past hanging up my guns. I converted my PD to it and it worked very well for us. Prior to Slip, I used TW25B grease with complete satisfaction. For certain applications (my Seecamp and fire control units on then issued SigPro 2340/2022) I used, and still do, EEZOX (mostly on shotgun trigger assemblies). That said, I've taken a couple of weekend courses at a pretty well known gunsmithing school in my state and their shops have buckets of lubriplate in them. Grant Cunningham is a big endorser of it.

As stated by others, proper application and use of lubrication is more important than type/brand.

Vending Machine Operator
    Slip 2000 EWL on most guns, Thin layer of TW-25B on metal-on-metal guns.

I've also used Hoppes and Breakfree. I've never had issues with any.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Anything works better than bone dry.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

I also use Hornady One Shot on my carry gun. Very slick and doesn't run (its dry). On the rest of my guns I use Weapon Shield. I have enough to last years. It's great for treating the bores. Subsequent cleanings are very easy. I keep samples of a couple others in my range bag - just in case. Never had to use them. I suppose they work well, but never needed to find out.
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

I've grown to like Superlube synthetic grease. It's not gun specific so it has many uses and is inexpensive.

I use Slip 2000 EWL more than anything else, but I've had good results with Super Lube synthetics, G96, BreakFree etc.

EEZOX gets the award for smelling worse than Ballistol.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List