Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Pistol Slide Lube

Site Supporter
    I honestly prefer oil.

I’ve used grease on my Sigs—mainly because of that infamous article/post that explains how your Sig will disintegrate if you see bare metal on the frame rails. But I feel like the thicker, more viscous medium tends to slow down the slide. In particular, I noticed this with one of my P225s/P6s. Using TB25b grease, I would occasionally have a FTFeed from slide lock. Went back to oil, and the slide seemed a lot snappier going into battery (from slide lock) and never hung up.

Granted, the recoil spring was pretty old in that P6, but I don’t think there’s any question the slide was moving slower with the grease. Now I never had any issues while firing (even using just grease) but… I tend to think slowing the slide down isn’t really a good thing?

At the end of the day, oil is just more slippery than grease (at least the grease I’ve used). And I think most guns were probably designed to run with oil. Plus, I kinda think the whole aluminum alloy frame wear thing is a bit overplayed. After handling some raw machined aluminum parts… it seemed pretty damn tough to me.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Tried many different oils for the slide rails, these days I just use wheel bearing grease. Lasts just fine, one tub will last a very long time. Tried the branded greases, EWG etc, can’t say it worked better for the slide rails than the Bearing grease.

Moly grease. Stays on better than oils, especially when FA gets submerged. As soon as possible after submerging, dry and re-apply grease.

But if you have a long stint that you can not clean or open up to get all the water out, the grease stays.

Sent from my BV9900E using Tapatalk

I have been using Wilson's grease for a couple years now. It has a tackiness (?) that seems to hold it in place better than oils. They call it grease but it is more of a thick oil. Reminds me of chain saw chain oil.
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GREASE-...uctinfo/579-4/

Definitely a lubricant with thicker viscosity then oil. For most pistols, I prefer Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease, for compact pistols with faster slide reciprocation and 1911s I prefer Mil-Comm's TW25B cream type grease, which is a thinner viscosity than the Lucas, but definitely thicker than oil.

Both products have superb longevity (especially the Lucas) and don't migrate or evaporate.

Best, Jon

Name:  IMG_7893.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  39.9 KB

In 1986, Steve Nastoff told me to use this in my .45 Comp gun. I've been using it on everything since then. I've tried other stuff but nothing has worked better. I used the original heavy Slide Glide on a 1911 in 9mm and it shut down in cold weather.

The price sticker on the Lubriplate says $2.45.

Site Supporter
    14 oz tub of grease is 6 ish

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ST-GREASE...ntent=In-store

32 oz bottle of oil at 7 ish
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-H...ntent=In-store

Mixed Syringe variety pack w needles/caps etc so you can easily cap and put lubes precisely where you want it 8 ish

https://www.amazon.com/BSTEAN-Syring...l%2C87&sr=1-16

Having said all of the above- I have seen a pistol and AR run well on a water based hygiene product (Vagisil tm) when liberally and frequently applied at a 3 day 1000+ round class after the shooter was specifically told that a dirty, well lubed gun will run better than his spotless underlubed gun.

Bottom line for 20ish dollars you gun lube needs ( at least) are solved for the foreseeable future freeing you mind to solve other issues.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Many folks have a preferred brand and type of lube. In actuallity using lube if far more important than what type or brand.

Much of the Snake Oil huckstering of yesteryear has migrated to the gun lube marketing business.

Examples: Roller Coaster grease = Frog Lube, just color it green & pay a former NSW guy to endorse.

Your kitchen's Canola Oil = Fire Clean. The greatest lubricant known to man. Guys like Vickers took the bait and bucks to endorse.
    Why? Current Fire Clean price $15.99/2 oz.. I think FC was close to $30 for that same quantity when the hype was new. You can order a Gallon of Canola Oil from Amazon for under $14. You do the math!

Any decent lube will work. I’ve been using the ALG Geissele very thin grease, I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Geissele-Auto...3249252&sr=8-3
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Grease is simply oil suspended in some sort of binder.

The oil part does what oil usually does.

The binder remains behind.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List