Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Pistol Slide Lube

Site Supporter

Smile Auto Pistol Slide Lube

Guys, I'm sure this topic has come up in the past, but let's look at it again. Gun oil vs gun grease to lube the slide and its rails? I just cleaned my guns and applied Lucas gun grease to their slides and rails. I own three auto pistols and have only been shooting for two years. Each time I cleaned and lubed my guns it seemed to me a light dose of thin gun oil is not adequate to use on slides and rails. Each of my gun's slides and rails reveal friction spots of shiny metal. There is never any oil in the friction areas. We know slides and rails are hard working parts under a lot of pressure. I said to hell with what the major gun makers say, gun slides need to be greased. I went on a net search for gun grease. I found the Lucas stuff I bought and also found a grease made by Brian Enos, but can't recall its name. someone can provide its name. Both products have good reviews.

I haven't fired any of my guns since I applied the grease, but I expect it to remain in place based on how the grease felt and how it went on. The Lucas was very easy to apply right out of its rubbery tube. I gently squeezed the tube and repeatedly tapped its tip onto the slide and rails, leaving very small dabs of grease along the way. I fully expect to eliminate or vastly diminish the wear on my guns.

Okay! How many of you grease rather than oil your slides?

Danko--

I've been shooting 2011s for the past 3 years and grease definitely works better, IME. I've switched to Slip2000 EWG because I've had good luck with their products in the past and it's non-toxic. I've used Lucas products before and been happy with them. I'm now experimenting with grease on my carry glocks and will see how that goes.

Site Supporter
    I have used Lithium bearing grease out of a 3.99 tub from Walmart since the early 2000’s. Same tub until I threw the remainder away when I moved a few weeks ago.

IMHO-location and amt of lube is far more important than the lube itself on the pistols have trained with, taken classes with and carried ( Glocks and 1911s).

My go to lubes forever have been lithium bearing grease, Mobil 1 syn motor oil or some red lucas stuff one of my first shooting mentors gave me way back in the day.

I like grease because it stays put.

YMMV.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I found the Lucas stuff I bought and also found a grease made by Brian Enos, but can't recall its name. someone can provide its name. Both products have good reviews.

I haven't fired any of my guns since I applied the grease, but I expect it to remain in place based on how the grease felt and how it went on. The Lucas was very easy to apply right out of its rubbery tube. I gently squeezed the tube and repeatedly tapped its tip onto the slide and rails, leaving very small dabs of grease along the way. I fully expect to eliminate or vastly diminish the wear on my guns.

Okay! How many of you grease rather than oil your slides?

Danko--
    The Brian Enos stuff is called Slide Glide and I've been using it for a couple decades. I'm sure he's upgraded formulas since that time. When I started using it the secret sauce reportedly contained automatic transmission fluid.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Lately, I’ve been using hornady oneshot as a lubricant, and it’s been great. It stays in place as well as grease on surface areas like slide rails, while also getting into smaller crevices such as a p365 FCU.

Anything. Just keep it wet and vaguely clean.

Preemptive:
    Name:  cover10.jpeg
Views: 791
Size:  29.5 KB
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Slide Glide, that's the stuff! I'll bet it's a good product, 'cause Brian stands behind it. I only went with the Lucas so I wouldn't have to give my credit card number to yet another site.

Thank you!

Site Supporter
    I hear ya! I gave lithium grease consideration as well as Mobil 1, but I decided to go with a product said to be developed specifically for guns. There likely is no difference expect its cost.

Thank you!

Site Supporter
    I haven't come across that product, but it sounds good if it stays in place like grease. I wouldn't expect Hornady to make gun oil, but hey, they have a big name, may as well expand their product line.

Thank you!

Waaaay over thinking it but if it makes you happy have at it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List