Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For S&W 4006 fans

For S&W 4006 fans

Just cruising the internets and found this at AimSurplus. Just passing this along. A time capsule that's not seen often.

https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-...6-40sw-handgun

That’s a pretty hot deal on a 3rd gen S&W auto. 10 years ago pricing.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I've been wanting a .40 since I am about to have to turn in my issued gun for a 9mm and have a fair amount of .40 to burn through. This would make a perfect partner for my 1006 as well. Too bad I live in Kalifornia and this gun is not on the roster. Maybe there will still have a few in a couple months when I finally pop smoke.

The trigger on those can be tuned sweet, DA and SA.
    The reset is insane.

They were a California DPW gun or whatever, there was a whole run with the bear flag on them. How are they not on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    They were a California DPW gun or whatever, there was a whole run with the bear flag on them. How are they not on the roster?
    Manufacturer can choose to not pay annual renewal fees; handgun falls off roster.

Manufacturer can make a design/manufacturing change to a rostered gun. Handgun must be retested and comply with all current mandatory features. For autos: magazine disconnect, “noticeable” loaded chamber indicator, and the current impossible hurdle: implement micro stamping. Ignoring color variations of existing rostered guns, we haven’t had any new pistols added to the roster in about a decade.

CA doesn’t have a problem with the peons buying revolvers though…

— Michael

Site Supporter
    Nice. That is a great price. I’ve got a nice 5906 and a 4506-1. I can’t really justify another hulking chunk of forged stainless awesome in a caliber I don’t keep on hand.

If it was a 5926, however, this conversation might be different…
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    As @elsquid mentioned - manufacturers must periodically pay the state DOJ for a pistol to remain on the roster. Old models that manufacturers no longer make are usually dropped from the roster as the manufacturer sees no point in continuing to pay the extortion fee to the DOJ for a product they won't make money on. Additionally any changes to the firing system (DA/SA vs DAO vs Decocker on slide vs on frame) must all be placed on the roster separately. Hell even a green cerekoted Glock 19 is considered a separate gun from a black Glock 19 per the roster. Most S&W autos were dropped from the list for good when Smith went to the M&P 2.0 which required they get approved by the DOJ again. The criteria the DOJ used to certify a gun changed every year but this year was special because our idiot AG declared microstamping viable and thus S&W needed to put it on the new M&Ps. Right now the only S&W pistols on the roster are some M&P Shields and the SD40s.

That AG by the way is our VPOTUS.

As for the 4006 having been the gun of the CHP, and that making it magically on the roster - it has been close to (or maybe even more) than a decade since the pistol of any major police department in California has been a gun the DOJ considers "safe" for civilians to purchase. Glock continues to make the Gen3 pretty much for the Kalifornia market alone because the G4 later pistols don't have Kamala's magic microstamping, nor do the aforementioned M&P 2.0s, any HK since the P2000, Sig P320s, or whatever the cool kids are carrying these days. Since police officers are exempt for the roster, they are allowed to purchase these duty guns when not provided by their departments (it was also a concession to get the LE unions to back the original law).

Yeah - the "Roster" is a steaming pile of crap.

Sorry for my rant........

I snagged these 2, 5946's, (9 MM DAO), about 5 years ago from Cabela's. Turns out they bought the last entire production run of them direct from S&W who had them warehoused, and were selling them brand new in the box exclusively through their stores. I always wanted one, but most of the police trade in guns I came across were pretty beat up cosmetically. Cabela's sold them out quickly. Now I wished I had bought a couple more. They're simply beautiful guns, and all were shipped with 3, 15 round Stainless Steel magazines, and new Novak style 3 dot night sights.

I'm not a big fan of DAO, but these aren't too bad. I just ordered a couple pair of these grips from Tactical Makgrips. They're one piece, and are a little different than the 2 piece model wooden grips Hogue sells. If anyone has changed out grips on these things, any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated. I know Makgrips includes a different mainspring retainer, much like Hogue. However they use the original mainspring pin to retain the grips in position. Where as Hogue uses threaded bosses in the retainer, and grip screws. I just like the way the Makgrips looked, so I took a chance on them. They should arrive next week.

https://www.tacticalmakgrips.com/col...-5967-grips-13

Quote Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
    I snagged these 2, 5946's, (9 MM DAO), about 5 years ago from Cabela's. Turns out they bought the last entire production run of them direct from S&W who had them warehoused, and were selling them brand new in the box exclusively through their stores. I always wanted one, but most of the police trade in guns I came across were pretty beat up cosmetically. Cabela's sold them out quickly. Now I wished I had bought a couple more. They're simply beautiful guns, and all were shipped with 3, 15 round Stainless Steel magazines, and new Novak style 3 dot night sights.

I'm not a big fan of DAO, but these aren't too bad. I just ordered a couple pair of these grips from Tactical Makgrips. They're one piece, and are a little different than the 2 piece model wooden grips Hogue sells. If anyone has changed out grips on these things, any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated. I know Makgrips includes a different mainspring retainer, much like Hogue. However they use the original mainspring pin to retain the grips in position. Where as Hogue uses threaded bosses in the retainer, and grip screws. I just like the way the Makgrips looked, so I took a chance on them. They should arrive next week.

https://www.tacticalmakgrips.com/col...-5967-grips-13

Make sure you post a pic of the gun when they come.

User Tag List