Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Model 68 sight work recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I bought the 68 due to the article linked above, memories of my grandfathers old 6" Model 66, and lockdown boredom.

My criteria are a 6" K-frame capable of a steady, exclusive diet of 38 Special +P (158gr SWCHP "FBI load"). Which is pretty much the raison d'ętre for the Model 68.
    The 110gr 'treasury load' was IIRC considerably hotter than the more pedestrian 'FBI load'.

This seems to validate said recollection: https://revolverguy.com/ammo-evoluti...treasury-load/

The Q4169 was a later derivative of the Q4070 load, differing mainly in its brass case (instead of being nickel plated, like the Q4070). The Q4169 was a +P+ load, and was headstamped as such, but strangely, the packaging labeled it “+P” on the end flaps. The Q4070 boxes were clearly stamped as “+P+” on the end flaps.
    Packaging varied but CHP load seems like it was still a 110gr +P+ load.

I've never owned a K-frame for long so I don't know how long it'd take to wear one down with warmer .38 loads. The +P 158s will probably not do it nearly as fast as the +P+ 110s. Either way, the 6" 66 makes the most sense for a shooter. Especially if you get a 66-4 or 66-5 (pre-mim* and pre-lock respectively). That gets you built-on-new-Tomkins-era-CNC-equipment, drop-in extractor, non-fitted yoke screw assembly, more easily replaced rear sight, etc.

*- mostly. ish. IIRC S&W started rolling out the MIM triggers, bolts and rebounds before the wholesale changeover mostly associated with the switch to the frame-mounted-firing-pin. e.g. 66-5. That's where people mostly start calling them "MIM guns." But, some hammers without the hammer nose aren't MIM (still forged). The PC used them up through the early 2000s. I've seen at least one in a factory gun as well. As with all things S&W dash numbers aren't an exact science. Which means you could possibly get a later 66-4 with a MIM trigger or bolt, and still get an early 66-5 with a forged no-nose hammer.
    Last edited by jh9; 09-16-2022 at 06:19 AM.

My 24-3 is currently with Dave Fink for, among other things, installation of a 1/10th inch gold bead FS.

User Tag List