Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 68 sight work recommendation

Site Supporter

S&W Model 68 sight work recommendation

I have a Model 68 that I bought on a whim in 2020. I've long been a semi-auto guy and I'm noticing how bad my poorly aging eyes are doing with the stock sights. Here's what I'd like to do. (keep in mind that the M68 is a fixed front sight. As in, machined as part of the barrel):

1. Thin front sight
    2. Install 24K gold bead in front sight
    3. Bonus points for front blade being black, removeable and DURABLE
    4. Increase size of rear notch and the blade itself
    5. All black rear blade
    6. Bonus points for rear U-notch

Any recommendations for a place to do this work, or if it is even possible these days?

Thanks,
    Jason

If you've got a Model 68, then you might want to consider leaving it alone. They're extremely scarce and very valuable.

https://revolverguy.com/missing-link...sson-model-68/

A Model 686 is a horse of a different color.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I totally agree with Okie John. A nice Model 15-2,3,4 would be a great trade and money in your pocket to boot.

Site Supporter
    @Zeke38
    @okie john

I'm not averse to this thread turning into a "what revolver is right for me". I bought the 68 due to the article linked above, memories of my grandfathers old 6" Model 66, and lockdown boredom.

My criteria are a 6" K-frame capable of a steady, exclusive diet of 38 Special +P (158gr SWCHP "FBI load"). Which is pretty much the raison d'ętre for the Model 68. The candidates are:

• Model 19 (19-?)
    • Model 66 (66-?)
    • Model 68

Regardless of which one I end up with, I'll still want to mod the sights as noted above. The issue for me isn't inherent to the 68.

I have a M67 that I set up for IDPA SSR.

1. Thin front sight

Mill off the integral blade and dovetail the ramp for whatever sight you like; I got fibre optic.

5. All black rear blade

I have the Weigand rear blade.

https://www.jackweigand.com/smith_we...ear_blade.html

The only thing I know of is one of those fixed sights made to fit adjustable sight guns.
    https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0123MU

Hey, I am in North Alabama, too, Florence. Shooting IDPA and USPSA in Birmingham and closer.

Tim Wright near Hartselle installed my sights, but I cannot now find good contact information. My last email to him tim@wright-arms.com in 2020 went unanswered.

Josh Hamilton dba Hamilton Armory, in Hazel Green might, but he really specializes in automatics.

You could get on the area board and ask around. There is another well rated gunsmith over there.
    http://s334465775.onlinehome.us/forums/index.php
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-15-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Location
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    @RAM Engineer - I'll join the chorus of "sell the M68 for a gazillion bucks and buy a M19/66". I'll also add that I shot several thousand rounds of +P handloads each through a M10-8 and M67-1 when I was an active IDPA shooter and they're still tight, so a 6" M14 could be added to the list of possibles.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Sell the Model 68 and buy a Model 67. Then do the work you want to it and you'll still likely have money left over.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Or, keep the 68 and buy a 14-4 and mod it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Or, keep the 68 and buy a 14-4 and mod it.
    That, too, if you're open to going from stainless to blued.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    1. Thin front sight
    5. All black rear blade

Any recommendations for a place to do this work, or if it is even possible these days?
    It's all possible.

On S&W revolver sight blades, you have to destroy the old one to replace it, so it's easier to swap out the entire sight. I'd start by keeping the entire original rear sight as is and replacing it with one that has a plain black blade, which you can then molest to your heart's content. That should solve for Points 4 and 5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/11552566499...75.c101224.m-1

It may also solve for point 1. Smith didn't arrive at their sight dimensions by accident. That said, some shooters prefer a little more or less light on either side of the front sight. Widening the rear notch will have the same effect as thinning the front, which helps with almost any kind of shooting except for very long-range work.

FWIW, sight dimensions on Smith target guns are about the same as the dimensions on their service guns. I went down a couple of rabbit holes on sight dimensions a while back. You can see some of what I learned here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ng-With-Sights

You can change the shape of the notch with a little careful file work, which solves for Point 6.

Not sure how to proceed on Point 2--maybe a gold insert?

Leaving the front blade alone solves for the durability part of Point 3, and you could turn it black with a little paint.

Finally, I'd try all of this before I started looking for a removable front sight blade. They're expensive, they can remove themselves without your approval, and once you get it your sights way you like them, you probably won't want to change them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List