Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 329PD...Talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Well I WAS off the ledge until the above post nudged me back on...

That’s what I get for posting GB links for Model 10’s at 3am. Lol
    I have one, and a USP and Sig 220 10mm. I shoot the autos more, carry the 329 more. Worked up a 270 grain hardcast load at 1000 fps and soft grips and it's manageable. I have no interest in full 44 mag in it, don't shoot them in my 44 Mountain Gun either.

Generally carried in a Hill People kit bag. If my handload doesn't work please hand me a rifle. It is a gun for a unique purpose that needs to fed carefully, but it serves that function well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I had one for years.

Outstanding lightweight .44 Special/.44 Russian platform for medium and light loads. Horrible platform for true .44 Magnum loads. Finally sold mine off. I figured I was far more proficient in getting heavy hits on target with my +P 250 grain .45 ACP load. It runs 920 FPS out of a 1911, and that is old school black powder .45 Colt territory. Not too many critters are going to take multiple hits per second of that and shrug them off.

So the short version is, the Model 329 is sold, and I run a Glock 21, or 1911 or HK USP.

These fat boys are more than sufficient for anything in the lower .48 as far as I am concerned.

What’s your load, if you don’t mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Appreciate the kind replies. Maybe the true answer lies in converting my ABBA workout tapes from Betamax.
    You could just rent “Mama Mia” on Prime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You don't really lose any weight between a 329PD and a USP45 - they're both ~28oz unloaded. But one is a damn sight more difficult to shoot.

Any compelling reason to not carry a 9mm? I have only been gone from the Midwest for about 16-months now...has it changed that much? Used to be my only concern was gang bangers or maybe a grumpy corn-fed hog.
    A G26 or SP101 would seem like nice hiking options there.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Because I’m no longer interested, I scoured the webs and found this:

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh.../sw-329pd-info

I need to hunt one down at a LGS however before this goes any further.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Find someone who does not like you. Hand them a Baseball Bat. Hold out your hand... You'll be cured of the desire to shoot one....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you do succumb and get one, the first thing to do is throw the wood grips in the trash, or you risk significant hand damage. Never ever get the Crimson Trace grips. I got some, thought they felt a little hard, and fortunately tried .44 special ammo first. Thank god I never shot magnum ammo with them.

I carried the special Garrett load for them. Once I shot a wounded mule deer buck up the butt at 42 yards with that load, and dropped him DRT. When I got to the point I would shoot three rounds of fam fire with my right hand and transfer the revolver to my left hand to finish the cylinder, I knew I needed to do something different.
    I know the Garrett load you mean. Even at that modest velocity ~1000 fps (?) it's still a 300 grainer. What was it like with .44 special class loads?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I know the Garrett load you mean. Even at that modest velocity ~1000 fps (?) it's still a 300 grainer. What was it like with .44 special class loads?
    I have one 329 set up for warm special loads -- took a shorter front sight to regulate. I also have a 10mm Scandium.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I always thought the 327PD was a much better answer to the lightweight field revolver question. Unfortunately, not many others did and Smith discontinued them years ago. They do still make the 327 TRR8 with a 5" barrel but it is a little heavier with the steel cylinder. 8 shots of 180gr. WFN 357 Magnums at 1100 fps will penetrate like crazy and be much easier on the hands than the 329PD. The ability to practice with cheap, low recoil 38's is an even bigger plus. Even 158gr. hardcast SWC's at 1000fps penetrate way more than their paper ballistics imply.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-327-trr8

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-model-327pd-4

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    I always thought the 327PD was a much better answer to the lightweight field revolver question. Unfortunately, not many others did and Smith discontinued them years ago. They do still make the 327 TRR8 with a 5" barrel but it is a little heavier with the steel cylinder. 8 shots of 180gr. WFN 357 Magnums at 1100 fps will penetrate like crazy and be much easier on the hands than the 329PD. The ability to practice with cheap, low recoil 38's is an even bigger plus. Even 158gr. hardcast SWC's at 1000fps penetrate way more than their paper ballistics imply.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-327-trr8

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-model-327pd-4
    This was my reasoning, and the 327PD was my grail gun. Then I found one and bought it. When I got it home and was able to get more detailed in the inspection, it ended up being the last straw that turned me away from S&W. I still think it would be nice if they were in regular production with steel cylinders so you didn't have to worry about flame cutting the Ti or key parts like the barrel being NLA.

But in any case, I'd do what GJM or Lost River recommend. They seem to be the most experienced at that kind of activity and environment around here.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-15-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List