Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 329PD...Talk to me.

I have a 327 five inch, Scandium 10mm four inch, Scandium 41 magnum four inch plus a number of 329's. I really haven't had trouble with them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always wanted to try the 329 but would prefer a mountain gun.

Heavy hard cast bullets going warm in my normal guns.
    255gr swc @950fps or 170gr swc @ 1200fps are my jam.
    Name:  IMG_20220915_132523~2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  67.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220915_132753~2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  59.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Shoot and carry my 329 a whole bunch, first off.. like told above, Ditch the stock grips that come with the 329..install a set of Hogue S&W 500 grips. Pick the load you want to defend with, sight in for that load, you won't find that this revolver likes to sight in for two or three loads. Garrett cartridge company makes a great load for this revolver called a Hammerhead in 44 mag @250gr it gets about 1100fps its a hardcast semi wadcutter with nice big flat meplat. Now that we got that out of the way, yep this bugger takes no prisoners when it comes to recoil.. But it is a 25oz 44 mag, I don't have any problem shooting 4-5 cylinders during practice, yes you know you have been shooting but the beating is cumulative and I stop when accuracy starts being affected. First couple cylinders are what I go to practice for. This revolver has just one purpose, be light enough to be carried where it may be needed for big problems..it serves this purpose perfectly for me and many others who care to practice in short frequent sessions until proficiency is up to your own liking. mine would be replaced right away if I ever had a problem. The titanium will get dirty, I don't get it any cleaner than nylon brushes and Hoppes elite will allow..that means it will have black marks on the cylinder, if you are liking for it to look new after the first cylinder, buy something else, you won't get along with this revolver. they live long looking nasty. Clean it like new, you WILL wreck the cylinder quickly. These also have a maintenance schedule, something like 12-1500 rounds and it will need a blast shield replacement, sooner if you shoot 44 mag exclusively. S&W is great with service, if you shoot it like some of us( a LOT) it will have a maintenance trip to the mothership.. Look up PAUL105 he has several 329PDs and has had them for a looong time and has lots of info on them and lots of rounds downrange. Oh yes almost forgot...plug the lock, it is a problem on this and other PDs..don't want to go locked on its own.

I say buy it!!!!

You have never experienced bullet pulling issues with that combination?
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If you mean the Garrett load designed for four inch N frame revolvers, I have a shot a fair amount of it in 629, Mountain Gun and 329 revolvers with no issues. I have also used the Federal Cast Core load, but I believe that has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've always wanted to try the 329 but would prefer a mountain gun.

Heavy hard cast bullets going warm in my normal guns.
    255gr swc @950fps or 170gr swc @ 1200fps are my jam.
    Name:  IMG_20220915_132523~2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  67.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220915_132753~2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  59.8 KB
    That .45 ACP load is a Stomper!

It is a touch faster than the load I am loading. I had a guy shoot some into some 20% gel and they went 36" before exiting out the back of the blocks.
    My .357 Mag load uses a 170 SWC as well, and though I tested it with a 2.5" and 6" barrel, I did not have a 4" on hand, your veocity falls right in line where it should be.

It went 41"s when the same gentleman shot it into 20% gel. 10% gel is normally the standard used for handguns. He told me the conversion formula, as it is not 2x the penetration but I don't recall. Long story short, though, either of your loads will give you LOTS of penetration on whatever you decide to drop the hammer on.

Always check for pull...

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    No issues at all with Garrett and I check frequently, my hand loads have a tiny bit of creep but will cycle more than two cylinders with no issues. Even Speer Gold Dots move a little but without issues. Never on any round have significant pull\creep enough to tie it up..I haven't ever tried Blazer aluminum, I think that one would have issues. So far this revolver has been a grin every outing..And I love the back pocket carry option, fits muzzle down hammer tucked in in my back Levis pocket when I'm setting up camp or just tootling around.. Yesterday I was digging at a rats den and it was in my back pocket loaded with 44special #4 shotshells...no holster necessary..the balance is superb. When hiking around I carry it in a chest holster made by some company outa Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For me, the Hogue 500 X Frame Tamers are a must. The 329 was my all day every day carry gun for the better part of a decade. On my digital kitchen scale, the unloaded gun with Hogue X Frame 500 grips weighs 25 oz - loaded with 6 260gr WFNGCs 29 oz. Recoil is very fast/snappy. If shot a lot with 240/260s at 1,100 fps equiv loads, it will require frequent (compared to steel counterpart) maitenence/repairs. If used predominantly with 44 special equiv loads, maint/repair shouldn't be a problem. Most won't shoot enough hi end loads to have a problem. As mentioned, the lock could be problematic with mags.
    Start low and work up to a load that works for the threat in your area - most shouldn't need full magnums.
    I transitioned to the S&W M69 in 2014 as my go to .44 mag. I still carried the M329 as backup while bow hunting elk here in montana until I couldn't physically hunt the high country two yrs ago.
    Very specialized gun - but one I found extremely useful.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Just back from another 5.5mi hike with the new pooch. Two tracks, forest roads, gravel roads, up, down. Dog takes 10min in the shade, drinks some pond water, is GTG. Me? 30 years of being cramped into a tiny seat for 10 hours a day taking its toll. I ditched the USP 45 and carrying the GP100. Still pinching nerves. Idea is intriguing, but zero experience with them. Read the usual stuff... “You can’t shoot them!” Titanium cylinders will not last!”.

I just need some honest feedback on them. I’m hoping another 3mo of this and I’ll be back to my pre-1990’s self but in case not, I need options. Lol.

I think your best solution is to get the gun off of your hips. I hike sections of the Foothills Trail* a lot and carry a 3 inch revolver in a kit bag. I have tried on the hip but keep going back to the kit bag due to the weight causing pain. I was exploring shoulder holster options before this work thing took over my life. There is light at the end of that tunnel, so I will get back to that soon.

I don't think a lighter gun would solve my problems. I think it would only extend the time before the pain starts.

* The Foothills trail follows the southern edge of the Blue Ridge escarpment and has big elevation changes in really short distances.

I can’t imagine shooting a 329 with full-house magnums.

I one had a 325 PD. I kinda liked it but just didn’t want to invest the time & effort to train with.

I did experience bullet creep with factory hardball and thought I was going to have the strain screw welded in place.

.45 ACP would definitely be my limit on that platform.

I just dug out my 357PD, in .41 magnum. Bowen did the trigger and installed his front sight. The ammo is Federal Cast Core.

I buzz the finger grooves off the standard Hogue grips, which really upset Mr Bowen’s sense of aesthetics. I tried and discontinued the X grips. Even though they were more cushy, they would grab the web of my hand and tear the skin, drawing blood.

Very pre Ukraine, the Z meant the gun was function tested and zeroed. I put a Z on the right side for me, and a Z on the left side denotes zeroed for my wife.

Name:  06AF80AF-E143-4F3C-B4B4-301F9923E134.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  12DED9D8-EB9D-4CE2-B8C4-5AE1316EDA0C.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  36.7 KB

User Tag List