Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats Caleb! Taurus Marketing Manager

One of my family's legacy firearms passed down to my parents is a Taurus 22lr revolver.

Outside of that older revolver, I've only heard of quality issues with Taurus. I've openly discouraged others from purchasing them when asked. The redeming thing I've heard about is their customer service and warranty stuff.

If they're going to be filling their team with guys like Caleb who are serious shooters, and deeply invested in the shooting community... I'll shut up on the hate and see what kind of changes come from Taurus. I'd be thrilled to see them gain a serious hard use/duty reputation. I know my grandfather thought of his Taurus that way, and trusted it. I'd love the name to be seen that way by the blue collar crowd that makes up tge bulk of Taurus users.

Best of luck to Caleb and Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A 3” M82 done to NY-1 spec (DAO, …hell it’s already matte, so that’s about it. 3” and round off the butt. And tune it to “executive” specs and make sure it works. Done, boom.) would be very cool.
    Not saying the hiring of @jetfire influenced me at all - but they make a 856, 3", Ultralite, with Ameriglo front sight. To be the perfect .38 Special carry gun it needs only:

1) To work
    2) A bobbed hammer
    3) A decent rear sight

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    2. Taurus has some bafflingly stupid gun designs that (for many) taint the entire product line. E.g. the Curve and Raging Judge.
    3. S&W, despite much greater resources, has spotty product quality and an apparent inability to become a true leader in the firearms industry.
    Don't forget the View.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Congrats! Taurus is lucky to have a guy like Calab who has a good understanding of the American market.

What Taurus has to realize is that they are not:

Glock or Sig Sauer: huge gun companies with huge military and police contracts; or

Walther or CZ or H&K or Beretta: Old European companies with a long tradition of quality and pedigree

They can be the next S&W or Springfield: not super innovative but provide good enough products for that less than $500 target. If they can be just a little more creative (without cringy) and more gooder with their QC, and make stuff in the US: They could be very successful.

I think the market for new gun owners who balk at a >$700 gun is there for Taurus to snag up. When I was getting into guns in the early 90's, Taurus was on my shopping list. Their guns were conventional and familiar (especially their copies of the J frame and Beretta 92) and affordable for a poor college student.

Dude, congrats! It was nice meeting you at NRA this year!

P.S., the executive grade that I checked out afterward was entirely due to your review. Looking forward to seeing what comes next from Taurus, as I feel it is a step in the right direction.

Sock drawer market segment

There seems to be some space in the market for a turnkey sock drawer gun. Maybe a 3" 856 or 82 with lasergrips, paired with a lockbox and a box of Winchester Train/Defend. You might even think about a non-gun channel of advertising. Maybe a Chip and Joanna Gains designed lockbox, or spreads in knitting magazines. Call it the Dilettante Diva Defender market segment. Maybe even co-opt some military jargon, like "Inactive Ready Reserve," signifying a gun suitable for long-term ready-state storage.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Congrats! Taurus is lucky to have a guy like Calab who has a good understanding of the American market.

What Taurus has to realize is that they are not:

Glock or Sig Sauer: huge gun companies with huge military and police contracts; or

Walther or CZ or H&K or Beretta: Old European companies with a long tradition of quality and pedigree

They can be the next S&W or Springfield: not super innovative but provide good enough products for that less than $500 target. If they can be just a little more creative (without cringy) and more gooder with their QC, and make stuff in the US: They could be very successful.

I think the market for new gun owners who balk at a >$700 gun is there for Taurus to snag up. When I was getting into guns in the early 90's, Taurus was on my shopping list. Their guns were conventional and familiar (especially their copies of the J frame and Beretta 92) and affordable for a poor college student.

Excellent post and advice to Taurus.

I actually think they have so pretty good design ideas now. A catalog clean up and a serious focus on consistency and quality control would be enough to make me happy.

I am hoping he get Taurus squared away ASAP, and then signs on at S&W, as they could seriously use a revolver guy to get them back on track.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Semi-crappy and discontinued Ford sedan?
    I have some very good memories of a particular Taurus sedan and a 19yo coed …

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Don't forget the View.
    The view is a great design, poor caliber choice, offer it in .22 or .32 and it is a winner.

User Tag List