Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 442 / 642 sighting contrast

442 / 642 sighting contrast

Currently have a 442, considering trading it in for a 642. Reason being the contrast provided by the lighter colored gun could be beneficial in certain lighting conditions, IMO.

It's been brought up that the finish on the 642 is different / not as durable over the 442, is there any truth to this?

Tagging in @Greg Bell as your name come up regarding a durability test elsewhere.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 11-30-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I much prefer the contrast of the 442 and a painted orange front site over the stainless 642. Thats just my personal preference and having used both.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    IMO, keep the 442. Add a 642 if you want, but don’t trade off the 442.

The 642 I have has basically no finish left on the frame. I’ve had it a long time, but the clear coat started peeling off when I’d not had it for very long, and continues to progress in the limited areas it remains.

I paint the front sights on both a base coat of white and then top coat of day-glo orange, so there isn’t really a difference in sighting. Stainless front sight is a reflector, nearly useless out of the box and needs something on it to be useful, so paint it is for me - I originally just blacked it out, but the orange is better.

Rear sight channel on the 642 gets blacked out, too - sight picture between the two is nearly identical.

Site Supporter
    My 642 was bought as an LE trade-in, so the finish was pretty beat up when I got it. The front sight on it and also on my blued M49 are painted the same way as @Duelist did his. The 642's front sight is easier for me to find than the 49's, but that's because the 642's sight is wider (1/8" vs. 1/10"). I haven't tried either in really low light, so that might change things.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 11-30-2023 at 08:13 PM.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Look, if you need help coming up with an excuse to buy a new gun, just ask. I've got a notebook full of them, ranging from specious to vacuous to downright contradictory.
    It's been a big help.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps a Crimson Trace LaserGrip would be beneficial?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Appreciate the responses. I've already got the ramp painted orange, and have the CTC laser grips. Sounds like I've been talked out of the 642.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Appreciate the responses. I've already got the ramp painted orange, and have the CTC laser grips. Sounds like I've been talked out of the 642.
    Nope. We're talking you out of getting rid of the 442. You still need the 642.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    I would skip the 642. If you just want a new snub ( I completely endorse that lol) get something like a 340 with a pinned front sight. I still don't understand why S&W just doesn't go to pinned fronts across the board.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I would skip the 642. If you just want a new snub ( I completely endorse that lol) get something like a 340 with a pinned front sight. I still don't understand why S&W just doesn't go to pinned fronts across the board.
    I don't know if this is a tin foil hat thing or not but I always assume they don't go pinned on 642/442 because then who would but $1,000 pinned front sight guns just to save a couple unloaded ounces...

User Tag List