Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats Caleb! Taurus Marketing Manager

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    It’ll be a while before I jump on. There have been so many “Taurus is turning things around” posts/articles/proclamations in the years since I started following the gun world that I’m skeptical. I really do hope that they do well. The 856 executive has almost everything I’d ever want from a small carry revolver, so I want to believe. But they’re gonna have to prove it to me first.

I’m the same way. If Taurus proves it’s up to the task of durable guns with good QC and great CS, I’ll gladly ditch Ruger and S&W since Taurus makes more of what I want in a revolver. Even some of their autos are things I would like. The TH9 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    4” .44 Tracker at a nearby shop are looking very attractive.
    Is this the ported five-shot? Those are hilariously fun with Skeeter Skelton 44 Special loads once cleaned up, a Wollf hammer spring installed, and broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Is this the ported five-shot? Those are hilariously fun with Skeeter Skelton 44 Special loads once cleaned up, a Wollf hammer spring installed, and broken in.
    Hey. How many rounds do you have through that gun?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey. How many rounds do you have through that gun?
    Not mine, I just spent a weekend woods bumming with a friend's and knocking over rounds of wood across a log yard. I put 100 extra feisty Specials through the gun and he has about 500 through himself, mostly cowboy Special loads. I think his landlord has put maybe a hundred full bore magnums through it. No idea on the dryfire other than it being a regular Cooper style "click at the zeroes on T.V. commercials" piece.

It’ll be a while before I jump on. There have been so many “Taurus is turning things around” posts/articles/proclamations in the years since I started following the gun world that I’m skeptical.
    For sure. I'm still in "wait and see" mode but it certainly appears there's more than lip service and paid ad copy positive gun rag reviews this time around. Let's see if the changes are in it for the long haul.

Is this the ported five-shot?
    I believe that's what this one was. I'm in a bit of a conundrum in that the "want" for a .44 Special is strong (and has been for years) but I have hand and wrist issues that make more than a few rounds uncomfortable. Even CAS level loads and forget full house Magnums. The last attempt was a Rossi 720 which had enough weight but had rock hard rubber grips and I never found anyone making replacements that were going to be any friendlier to my hands. My thought (hope?) is the extra barrel length, porting, extra weight (35oz vs 26) and better grip (and possibly better grips options) will be the secret sauce to keep my hands and wrists from rebelling.

I want to belieeeeeeve...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Not mine, I just spent a weekend woods bumming with a friend's and knocking over rounds of wood across a log yard. I put 100 extra feisty Specials through the gun and he has about 500 through himself, mostly cowboy Special loads. I think his landlord has put maybe a hundred full bore magnums through it. No idea on the dryfire other than it being a regular Cooper style "click at the zeroes on T.V. commercials" piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    For sure. I'm still in "wait and see" mode but it certainly appears there's more than lip service and paid ad copy positive gun rag reviews this time around. Let's see if the changes are in it for the long haul.

I believe that's what this one was. I'm in a bit of a conundrum in that the "want" for a .44 Special is strong (and has been for years) but I have hand and wrist issues that make more than a few rounds uncomfortable. Even CAS level loads and forget full house Magnums. The last attempt was a Rossi 720 which had enough weight but had rock hard rubber grips and I never found anyone making replacements that were going to be any friendlier to my hands. My thought (hope?) is the extra barrel length, porting, extra weight (35oz vs 26) and better grip (and possibly better grips options) will be the secret sauce to keep my hands and wrists from rebelling.

I want to belieeeeeeve...
    I've looked at exactly that gun, and thought it might be a good woodsbumming companion loaded with 240 grain hardcast handloads going about 1000FPS.

Loads at that level are pretty comfortable from a Model 29, and will shoot through most animals from front to back, never mind side to side.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It’ll be a while before I jump on. There have been so many “Taurus is turning things around” posts/articles/proclamations in the years since I started following the gun world that I’m skeptical. I really do hope that they do well. The 856 executive has almost everything I’d ever want from a small carry revolver, so I want to believe. But they’re gonna have to prove it to me first.
    I've heard all those reports too and considered that before I decided to take this job. And here's the thing, you can't solve QC issues overnight, but what we can do is actually incorporate user feedback into the product development process. That's how the 856 EG was born, it's why the GX4XL's grip shape is the way it is, etc.

And now for my bold statement: I would put our revolver line on par with what's coming out of S&W these days, excluding Performance Center guns. As far as our polymer framed products, I'm comfortable saying we're highly competitive with brands like Springfield or Canik in terms of product quality. If I wanted to really start an internet argument I'd include Sig in that group ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I've heard all those reports too and considered that before I decided to take this job. And here's the thing, you can't solve QC issues overnight, but what we can do is actually incorporate user feedback into the product development process. That's how the 856 EG was born, it's why the GX4XL's grip shape is the way it is, etc.

I'd include Sig in that group ;-)
    Totally get the QC issue bit. I’ve worked in manufacturing and have a solid understanding on what it takes to turn QC around.

As for SIG, well, they kinda made uneven QC cool in the last couple decades.

I really ain’t trying to play Debbie Downer, honest. I want to believe. I just want some more proof first.

Or you can ship an 856EG to my LGS that’s earmarked for me and I’ll be an unpaid beta tester (on the condition I keep the gun of course)

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

And now for my bold statement: I would put our revolver line on par with what's coming out of S&W these days, excluding Performance Center guns. As far as our polymer framed products, I'm comfortable saying we're highly competitive with brands like Springfield or Canik in terms of product quality. If I wanted to really start an internet argument I'd include Sig in that group ;-)
    I must confess I haven’t paid attention to Taurus products for years other than ones that showed up in the various classes I teach. I checked out their product line and the GX4XL looks interesting. The frame texture looks nice. And this isn’t a criticism, just curious, why Riton optics? I’ve got one. It’s ok. It’s on my blue gun. Just curious why Riton over some other brands, if you know.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

So, the one place I've wanted pic rail on a revolver barrel Taurus puts it on their Raging Hunter line: https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/raging-hunter. S&W did something similar with the 327 but it was even bulkier because detachable. I digress.

Is there any chance of putting a similar-but-smaller rail (just barely big enough for something like an RMRcc) on their 856? Like a 6-shot D-frame Colt Det Special with the provision for one of the modern, smaller dots.

Just spitballing. I've never owned a Taurus but I was there in the 90s and the only reason S&W did any innovation at all is because Taurus did it first. So dots-on-a-revolver would be continuing the trend.

edit: you don't *have* to call it the jh9 special or anything but FFS some provision for fixed sight, smaller revolver to accept a dot sooner rather than later would be nice.

User Tag List