Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Congrats Caleb! Taurus Marketing Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If you hold told me a year ago that my only impediment to ordering an 856 TORO was that I'm waiting for a fix that will allow a good zero with Holosun sights, I wouldn't have believed it.
    I want to say that someone posted to Caleb's FB page a plastic/polymer shim for that. @jetfire
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I actually have an old model 66 with really good adjustable sights and a six inch barrel that I thought about taking, but in the end I've been running this 82 at a high level in IDPA matches, and I trust the gun. I'm also sort of proof testing this, right? Like if I can shoot a 1700 or whatever with a 4 inch fixed sighted DA revolver that costs $300, it puts a lot of the arguments about "you need a gajillion dollar gun" to sleep.

Sure, I understand there's a skill component involved in that performance, but if I'm out here telling people that Taurus revolvers are good to go, I want to show them that I mean business about it. Plus, there's a torture test element involved - I want to get this specific S/N to 10k rounds before the next Revolver Round Up.
    Speaking of torture testing, Taurus might be missing the boat by trying to distance itself from Brazil. I certainly understand the sentiment because I often advise folks not buy guns or ammo from places where you can't drink the tap water, and that was even before the green Olympic pool debacle. However, the Gracie family has spent a ton of time and effort into the idea that something from Brazil is pressure tested. It's not pretty, it's all sweaty and messy, buy Gracie Jits works. That's free money Taurus is leaving on the table. "Taurus: Pressure tested pistols and revolvers," with pictures of a BJJ tournament and Rio cops.

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    Speaking of torture testing, Taurus might be missing the boat by trying to distance itself from Brazil. I certainly understand the sentiment because I often advise folks not buy guns or ammo from places where you can't drink the tap water, and that was even before the green Olympic pool debacle. However, the Gracie family has spent a ton of time and effort into the idea that something from Brazil is pressure tested. It's not pretty, it's all sweaty and messy, buy Gracie Jits works. That's free money Taurus is leaving on the table. "Taurus: Pressure tested pistols and revolvers," with pictures of a BJJ tournament and Rio cops.
    I actually have a joke about this

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I get that, but I wish you luck in the argument that one can't substitute gear for skill.
    There's a point though where gear becomes a limfact and I'm definitely at that point with this gun for this match

Site Supporter
    There's a point though where gear becomes a limfact and I'm definitely at that point with this gun for this match
    Back when I actually shot some I used to go to IDPA matches in the early 2000’s at Frank Glover’s The Range in NC, Frank used to do a lot of revolver friendly stages and we have a shooter, Bill I think, who was a really good shooter who would show up with odd ball guns and still come out at the top of the match. I can remember him shooting a Luger once and a SAA once and cleaning up in the short 6 shot stages.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Back when I actually shot some I used to go to IDPA matches in the early 2000’s at Frank Glover’s The Range in NC, Frank used to do a lot of revolver friendly stages and we have a shooter, Bill I think, who was a really good shooter who would show up with odd ball guns and still come out at the top of the match. I can remember him shooting a Luger once and a SAA once and cleaning up in the short 6 shot stages.
    That's pretty awesome. With IDPA at least, gear doesn't become a limiting issue nearly as fast as it does in a specialty sport like Bianchi Cup. If I was going to pick a gun for this sport for Production division from our catalog, it definitely wouldn't have fixed gutter sights.

That's pretty awesome. With IDPA at least, gear doesn't become a limiting issue nearly as fast as it does in a specialty sport like Bianchi Cup. If I was going to pick a gun for this sport for Production division from our catalog, it definitely wouldn't have fixed gutter sights.
    Isn't it time to let the fixed gutter rear sight go and start installing real rear sights from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by oss117 View Post
    Isn't it time to let the fixed gutter rear sight go and start installing real rear sights from the factory?
    No. They are low-profile, reduce snagging, and don't chew through clothes. For actual normal human being concealed carry, the traditional grooved topstrap sights remain excellent.

Site Supporter
    I don’t mind a simple groove as a rear sight as long as the front and rear are the correct height and correctly centered for good accuracy, and as long as the front sight is clearly visible. Most inadequacies with this type of sight are due to deficiencies in the front sight, not the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I don’t mind a simple groove as a rear sight as long as the front and rear are the correct height and correctly centered for good accuracy, and as long as the front sight is clearly visible.
    And the front sight is easily replaceable. That would solve a lot of problems for me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List