Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Congrats Caleb! Taurus Marketing Manager

Loving my 856 UL with the Taurus night sight and Hogue grip. That 29 dollar night sight was marketing genius. Good little six shot go with me Fudd gun. Thanks Caleb you helped a lot to convince me to try a Taurus revolver.

Site Supporter
    Just picked up an 856 with a 2 inch barrel and bobbed hammer. Planning on turning it into a gun which can be carried in a number of places. Gonna get a set of Hamre Forge grips, wrap it up in tape, put on a tritium front sight and change the trigger return spring. Looking for something that can be carried in a holster, a pocket, or in gym shorts. Basically a gun that can be carried in every clothing option except for naked, while having one extra round over a J frame and a few extra ounces that make it easier/more accurate for me to shoot.

First range session was mostly positive. Can definitely put rounds on target more accurately than my J frame (that has an apex duty spring kit) out to distances. The front sight is something I like particularly, because neither this revolver nor my J frame hit to the sights with wadcutters and I want to get a front sight that allows POA/POI with wadcutters. Can't do it with the 638, but I might be able to with this gun.

Also, I will concede that the gutter rear sight on this gun is better than those on a J frame. Easier to use and see. Color me impressed with this gun, save the immensely heavy DA trigger stroke. Which, again, doesn't keep me from being able to shoot it better than my 638. I have heard that the hammer springs from Wolff and Galloway may be too light to crack some harder primers, so I'm gonna change some springs, but I'll want to do some testing for reliability first and foremost. I'll probably just end up changing out the trigger return spring only at the end of the day until someone comes out with an extended firing pin that works/fits reliably.

If nothing else, in it's present form, it is an excellent dry fire tool and a better shooter than my J frame and can go into most pockets my J frame goes into.

Site Supporter
    OK, first problem...The firing pin became stuck in the forward position, so upon taking the gun apart, the thing looked shredded and bent. Any place where I can buy a new firing pin spring? I cut off the bit that was all bent/messed up, but I think we need a new spring because the spring itself as is, will not return the firing pin to the rearmost position.

I am not worried about drop safety, as the firing pin will fall backwards if the muzzle is tilted upwards...but still. I want all working parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    OK, first problem...The firing pin became stuck in the forward position, so upon taking the gun apart, the thing looked shredded and bent. Any place where I can buy a new firing pin spring? I cut off the bit that was all bent/messed up, but I think we need a new spring because the spring itself as is, will not return the firing pin to the rearmost position.

I am not worried about drop safety, as the firing pin will fall backwards if the muzzle is tilted upwards...but still. I want all working parts.
    The S&W firing pin spring should work https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/043460000

if not, sending your gun to customer care will have it back to you in 2-4 business days from when we receive it, assuming repair has the part in inventory. And it's free so

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The S&W firing pin spring should work https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/043460000

if not, sending your gun to customer care will have it back to you in 2-4 business days from when we receive it, assuming repair has the part in inventory. And it's free so
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Useful to know.

Long long ago (you were probably not old enough to drive at the time), I had a Taurus 66 that developed a tendency to eat firing pin springs. It soured me on Taurus at the time.

Thanks to Caleb for bring wheel guns and lever guns for us to shoot at PRMRR. That 30/30 is nice.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    Ight, so it looks like the problem is fixed. I ordered a J frame firing pin spring but it was too wide for the Taurus 856 I own. I opted to go to Numrich and purchase 3 firing pin springs for a taurus 85 and they appear to be working. It is my feeling that this gun probably ought to be dry fired with snap caps, so moving forward, that's the move.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Thanks to Caleb for bring wheel guns and lever guns for us to shoot at PRMRR. That 30/30 is nice.
    I really enjoyed the lectures but am sad I didn’t get over to the test fire on Monday.

Now just add that little drift adjustable rear sight like on the .22s!

User Tag List