Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whis of the current generation of compact single stack pistols is best of breed?

Whis of the current generation of compact single stack pistols is best of breed?

It seems to me that the current field of single stack, compact handguns is the following:

Ruger LC9
    S&W Shield
    Walther PPS
    Beretta Nano
    Kahr P series
    Sig P 290

Of all of these, which is doing the best in terms of relibility?

I would say that the only one with much of a track record is the Kahr...but you can still get a lemon. Ned Christiansen gave a favorable review of the Kahr...which to me says something.

The PPS has been around for a while now, quietly. Quite favorable reviews from everyone that owns one. Actually of the guys I know that shoot them a fair amount I have not heard anything negative.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

My top three would be the PPS, Shield, and Kahr, in that order. If it weren't for the safety on the Shield, I would rate it as my #1 simply because of the better aftermarket support.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I had a PM9 that performed admirably for several years, paired up with a CTC LaserGuard. It went away, not due to issues, but simply because I was thinning the collection of mouse guns to zero. If I had a use for a small gun, the PM9 would be on my short list.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I've been thinking a small single stack for some time, and on my current list PPS is a runaway winner. I'd probably want to pin a back strap, and I wish there were more sight options.

The only two I have first-hand experience with are LC9 and Shield. Both performed flawlessly for me and are great little guns. However, edge goes to the Shield by a longshot. The ergos are better, the sights are slightly better, the recoil impulse is reduced, the trigger is a million times better. I could go on but you get my point.

To me the real test is this; When I carry small pistol X ... in the back of my mind do I really wish I was carrying something else? Do I feel undergunned?

I am totally comfortable when carrying the Shield. I even shot a local club IDPA match with mine a couple of months ago. I honestly didn't feel like I was shooting a mouse gun at all and performed pretty well with it.

My PPS was a trooper... It was the first handgun I ever bought. I purchased it used from a pawnshop about two months after they were released. At the time I didn't really know that pistols had to be cleaned... So I shot about 700 rounds through it during the time I had it. I know that isn't a remarkable number if rounds without cleaning. But if a pistol can survive a clueless new owner, it can survive almost anything!

It had two FTF in the first two mags (nose caught on ramp) and after that, narry a single issue. That being said, it was the .40 model... and the recoil was a bit gratuitous. But overall, if I ever wanted a single stack gun again, the PPS would be at the top of my list.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

I saw a guy here locally run an ad selling a SS Kimber Solo. I didn't know they were actually out. $800!!! lol
    I have dry fired a prototype and its trigger was pretty impressive. FWIW (not much!)
    Last edited by JHC; 09-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I recently picked up a 2008 PPS used.

I could tell immediately why it was sold, the trigger would not fully reset after each shot ~10% of the time during live fire.

S&W to their credit, even though the gun was out of warranty by several years, has opted to replace the firearm.

I plan on wringing out the replacement. I really like the platform and had heard nothing but good things about it prior to my purchase.

User Tag List