Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 3” Colt Python… I’m Weak

I hope these new Wilson sights are compatible with the Harrison front sights.

Site Supporter
    I picked up my 3” python months ago. I really like it. I ordered a set of giraffe bone boot grips but the maker did not deliver. Thankfully PayPal 😡 refunded my money. Then I bought a wood hogue grip. The hogues Looked good, felt good. But in the end I felt they were too big for a 3” barrel. I bought a set colt of marshal grips and a set of Rogers grips off ebay.
    The Rogers are great for shooting; similar to the hogues but smaller. I do not have the courage to trim the frame to match the marshal grips. I plan to order a Tyler T grip in the future. Finally I ordered a set of Eagle Boot grips. I already have a set of Wilson sights but I have not installed them yet.
    Name:  A7DDB9F7-4B9F-4E0E-92DC-97291A93F262.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  103.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I picked up my 3” python months ago. I really like it. I ordered a set of giraffe bone boot grips but the maker did not deliver. Thankfully PayPal 😡 refunded my money. Then I bought a wood hogue grip. The hogues Looked good, felt good. But in the end I felt they were too big for a 3” barrel. I bought a set colt of marshal grips and a set of Rogers grips off ebay.
    The Rogers are great for shooting; similar to the hogues but smaller. I do not have the courage to trim the frame to match the marshal grips. I plan to order a Tyler T grip in the future. Finally I ordered a set of Eagle Boot grips. I already have a set of Wilson sights but I have not installed them yet.
    How does the Python shoot with those Eagle Boot grips? They look great.

Site Supporter
    In addition to the above question about how the grips shoot, do they work with speed loaders?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I have those same grips on a n-frame and a k-frame. They are designed to work with speed loaders. As for how they handle, I have the smooth ones on the k-frame and the checkered ones on the n-frame. The checked stay in place better. On the n-frame shooting .357 is no issues due to the weight of the gun. On the k-frame shooting .357 can be punishing. Because of the python's size I imagine it would be somewhere in-between. The grips do hide nice, but I put pachmayer compacs back on my k-frame. They do make a great BBQ gun grip though.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    In addition to the above question about how the grips shoot, do they work with speed loaders?

Site Supporter
    I wanted some grips that had a bit more padding and also were smaller. I decided on the pachmayer Gripper professionals. I might end up cutting the finger grooves off as they seem to add a lot of bulk in the front, but I want to shoot them first. The harrison sights show up tomorrow, so it should be range ready for the weekend.

Name:  Python Gripper side.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  100.8 KB
    Name:  Python_gripper rear.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  51.4 KB

Site Supporter

Trigger heavy after firing a few rounds

Question for those that own these. I took it out without cleaning or oiling it as it appeared this had been done at the shop I bought it from (there was some oil leaking out of the trigger). I fired the first 12 rounds with no issues, they were 38 special plated wadcutters. I then fired about 18 rounds of various defensive .357. After that any time there were round in the gun the trigger seemed heavy and almost like it was binding with .357 or .38 rounds. If it was empty the trigger felt fine. I fired about 200 or so more rounds and the trigger went back and forth of being really heavy and then breaking (I guess it would be called stacking). Then sometimes it would fire normal. Has any one else had these issues? Should I just fire a few more rounds and see what happens? I gave it a pretty good cleaning tonight.

Also, does any one make a smooth trigger for these? I found the serrated trigger very uncomfortable for the short amount of time I was shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Question for those that own these. I took it out without cleaning or oiling it as it appeared this had been done at the shop I bought it from (there was some oil leaking out of the trigger). I fired the first 12 rounds with no issues, they were 38 special plated wadcutters. I then fired about 18 rounds of various defensive .357. After that any time there were round in the gun the trigger seemed heavy and almost like it was binding with .357 or .38 rounds. If it was empty the trigger felt fine. I fired about 200 or so more rounds and the trigger went back and forth of being really heavy and then breaking (I guess it would be called stacking). Then sometimes it would fire normal. Has any one else had these issues? Should I just fire a few more rounds and see what happens? I gave it a pretty good cleaning tonight.

Also, does any one make a smooth trigger for these? I found the serrated trigger very uncomfortable for the short amount of time I was shooting.
    Really sounds like an ammo issue. I'm thinking that you may have a crud ring from the .38 rounds not letting the .357s drop all the way in causing case heads to drag. A good cleaning may clear that up.

As for the grooves on the trigger, the only solutions are to send it to a smith or take matters into your own hands, Colt Resurrecting the Python? - Page 91 (pistol-forum.com)

Site Supporter
    Is the ammo dirty? Lots of unburned gunpowder? Clean under the star ASAP.

Site Supporter
    None of the ammo was dirty. I did clean under the star when I cleaned the gun, it was no more dirty than normal.

As for the it being an ammo issue, the .357s shot fine, didn't have the issue. The issue didn't pop up until after I shot the .357 shells.

Is the ammo dirty? Lots of unburned gunpowder? Clean under the star ASAP.

User Tag List