Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweat stained hats

Sweat stained hats

At matches I always wear a common baseball cap. I almost never wear them anywhere else because I like the sun blocking offered by straw hats. The problem is the baseball caps gets sweat stained until it is too ugly and kind of gross to wear. I hate throwing out an otherwise not worn hat. We have tried every cleaner we can think off w/o success. We were concerned about whatever material makes the bill stiff but finally just dunked the whole hat in a bucket w/ some oxyclean stuff my wife uses on other things. Soaked overnight and then sat in the sun all day. Jeez, still stained. When we were at the beach, I picked up a couple of hats that are a light tan color thinking that might make the stain less obvious. Do you guys have any better solutions?

Shower with your hat on every once and awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/Washers-Baseb...A35HB4XIR3VSQ7

I think they make these for round bill as well as flat bill. We usually run the hat separate from dishes. Sometimes it's better to just buy a new cap.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Do you guys have any better solutions?
    It's rare for me to say cringeworthy macho bullshit, but this is 100% appropriate: act like an man and wear your sweat stained ballcap with pride. FFS.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's rare for me to say cringeworthy macho bullshit, but this is 100% appropriate: act like an man and wear your sweat stained ballcap with pride. FFS.
    This is TGS. His pronouns are he/him dammit and his articles are a/an/the.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    This is TGS. His pronouns are he/him dammit and his articles are a/an/the.
    Son of a....

Insert "American"

Act like an American man.

Or, just replace "man" with "American" altogether, or just "'murican" for more panache.

*chortles*
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Wife sprays with Zout (not Shout, Zout) and throws in washer. Reform after washing and leave on counter to dry.
    When that stops working, toss in trash and buy new.

Not to infer that I don't do laundry... just that I don't wash my ball caps.
    When Wife feels it necessary, she handles it. I am grateful for the effort, however unnecessary.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pick your hats, so the sweat will blend in — think honest wear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I just toss it in the washing machine/line dry once it gets too grubby.

I have a dedicated range hat (some 5.11 ball cap with a sweatband) that is on year 5 and has been washed about once a month or so. Other than some color fade it has held up fine.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    I just toss it in the washing machine/line dry once it gets too grubby.

I have a dedicated range hat (some 5.11 ball cap with a sweatband) that is on year 5 and has been washed about once a month or so. Other than some color fade it has held up fine.
    Regular laundering prevents accumulation of the skin oils and sweat that stain/discolor ball hats. Just toss the ball hat in with appropriate colors of wash on 'gentle' with a little extra detergent and line dry. How hard is it to do that once a month?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List