Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweat stained hats

You can wash these things? I’ll be damned. Always learning something new here.

I have a treasured Columbia long bill beach/boat hat that I lost one night when I slipped and fell into the river stepping offa the pontoon boat. Beer was probably a factor, because I didn't even know it was gone until I was packing for the next boat trip the following week. I was especially heartbroken when I couldn't find another one to order anywhere, the boat trip with my cousins just wasn't the same. While I was gone my wife (even though I bought the hat to pester her, she had grown accustomed to it...) made a great effort to find an equivalent, and she was still stymied. The following weekend we made another trip back to the river to boat and move the boat back to storage. Sunday morning early I am walking to the boat to get a water out of the cooler, and lament that this is where I fell and lost my hat, when I glance down, rub my eyes to be sure I am seeing what I am seeing, and sonufabitch, there is my hat!!!! So after two weeks in a pretty nasty tributary of the Big Muddy (AKA: Ohio River) it is pretty nasty, with literal moss growing on the bill that was sticking out of the water. Anyway, I just laundered it 2-3 times, I just washed it until it smelled like detergent instead of the creek.

As far as loosing shape, maybe put it on instead of running it in the dryer. My current favorite cap was one I really didn't like the shape of, until I wore in a deluge rainstorm while shooting three gun and wore it the rest of the day. Now it fits perfectly.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-14-2022 at 02:26 PM.

I've found the clothes washer to be pretty hard on my covers. When they get nasty, I prefer to put 'em in the kitchen sink and hand wash them with a dish brush and liquid soap. I put them in the sun to dry. YYMV.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have a treasured Columbia long bill beach/boat hat that I lost one night when I slipped and fell into the river stepping offa the pontoon boat. Beer was probably a factor, because I didn't even know it was gone until I was packing for the next boat trip the following week. I was especially heartbroken when I couldn't find another one to order anywhere, the boat trip with my cousins just wasn't the same. While I was gone my wife (even though I bought the hat to pester her, she had grown accustomed to it...) made a great effort to find an equivalent, and she was still stymied. The following weekend we made another trip back to the river to boat and move the boat back to storage. Sunday morning early I am walking to the boat to get a water out of the cooler, and lament that this is where I fell and lost my hat, when I glance down, rub my eyes to be sure I am seeing what I am seeing, and sonufabitch, there is my hat!!!! So after two weeks in a pretty nasty tributary of the Big Muddy (AKA: Ohio River) it is pretty nasty, with literal moss growing on the bill that was sticking out of the water. Anyway, I just laundered it 2-3 times, I just washed it until it smelled like detergent instead of the creek.

As far as loosing shape, maybe put it on instead of running it in the dryer. My current favorite cap was one I really didn't like the shape of, until I wore in a deluge rainstorm while shooting three gun and wore it the rest of the day. Now it fits perfectly.
    One of the great lost and found stories!!!

This is one of my most favorites.

I have 2 more of it that have had very little wear. I was/am that big of a fan. Two is one right?

Name:  W.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  42.7 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Since this is quickly turning into a post a picture of your favorite hat thread, here is my current favorite one, which doesn't show sweat stains at all.

Name:  5024A11F-1BB0-4B31-8C68-FC7EDE1B1083.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  51.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Two is one right?

Name:  W.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  42.7 KB
    Right! It really simplifies accessorizing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Keeping it on in the shower holds it's shape, and gets it clean enough. This is a running argument with my wife, which neither of us has yet won. It's on my head, making it difficult for her to snatch and launder unwillingly. But, she's also very good at finding it when I lose it, around 50-60 times a day. Sometimes it is returned with all the luck washed out of it.
    This man understands what happens when a hat gets washed.

When it absolutely must happen I do the light handwash in the sink or shower.

Soak it in borax and water the longer the better. Like in a bucket or sink. Stir or agitate occasionally. If youve got a lot of hats to clean at one time do it in the tub. No need to run it through washing machine.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-14-2022 at 03:44 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I have one of those dishwasher cap forms.
    An old favorite from a decade ago has started disntegrating, though, delaminating bill, hole in fabric.
    Oh, well, I have other gimme caps.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I like to think of the sweat stains as an anti-theft device. Growing up on the farm in Iowa, we got caps and sweatshirts from every feed and seed company in existence. Usually in both cold and warm weather variants. To this day, the notion of paying for a cap rankles.

User Tag List