Thread: Saps and Blackjack Course - Austin, Tx - 10/09/22

Site Supporter

Saps and Blackjack Course - Austin, Tx - 10/09/22

I’ll be teaching a one day saps and Blackjacks course in Austin on Sunday October 9 at Cooper MMA.

The coursework will cover the following topics:

Sap and jacks course is designed to give the student a less than lethal capability between OC Spray and a gun.
    Coursework Curriculum:
    Pre-Assault Indicators
    Strikes and Footwork
    Carry Methods and Selection
    Long Cover
    Default Cover
    Ready Positions
    Clinch/Grappling Escapes
    Achieving Dominant Position
    Improvised Impact Weapons

$225.00/student

To Register: Guy.A.Schnitzler@DFWDefensiveTraining.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could attend

Ive searched the net and there's no videos on the subject save one yahoo hitting a dummy with little explanation.. Would really be something if a knowledgeable trainer made a good video on this.

Site Supporter

Saps and Blackjack Course - Austin, Tx - 10/09/22

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Ive searched the net and there's no videos on the subject save one yahoo hitting a dummy with little explanation.. Would really be something if a knowledgeable trainer made a good video on this.
    I’ll try to get some video and post it.

That yahoo was probably Scott Babb of Libré Knife Fighters Guild. I saw it.

Good deal

I'll be watching that for sure
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How did class turnout?

Hope you had a good turn out! Get any video for the non travel crowd? Here's to hoping..

Site Supporter
    Here’s a few I took. Hope you like them.

Site Supporter
    I’m not sure why the videos won’t post. It’s just letting me post pictures.

Looks like a good time!

Looks like I would have had fun going to the class fore sure! Did you post any videos on YouTube?

Folks,

Due to Austin Cooper MMA (original location) moving and construction issues, the class location was moved to a covered pavilion in Mary Moore Searight Park in South Austin (add gratuitous South Austin jokes). The weather was superb, it was much better than an indoor gym with sweaty mats and moldy lockers.

Breaks during training were provided around every hour and lunch was about 45-50 minutes.

Note my Tactical Suspenders and extra droopy old man shorts, the better to lull unsuspecting mooks(*) into attacking a (supposedly) easy target.

The morning was devoted to working with saps and blackjacks against strike pads. We covered the targeting areas, strong side jabs, overhand side swings, swings from the off side while recovering (return swings after the initial strike), straight sternum jabs and uppercuts. All these strikes were using the edge of the sap, not the flat. By concentrating the force on the edge, these strikes hit much harder than slaps with the flat of the sap.

Myself, not having trained in any striking sports, I did not know about driving off the back foot, using the hip rotation and lifting the heel of the back foot to generate power on the strike. After some instruction, I noticed that I was beating the holy fuck out of the strike pad when doing it correctly, compared to somewhat lifeless taps when using arm strength with no hip work.

THIS IN ITSELF WAS WORTH THE COST OF THE CLASS.

(I need to pick up some of these strike pads when I find them on sale or used at "Play It Again Sports")

I need some "at home practice" to ingrain this during striking. Just need to figure out how to set this up in the back yard without freaking out the neighbors.

(Neighbors: Here we are cooking hamburgers and chilling...) "Whap!!! GET SOME!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME!!!!!! Whap!!! GET SOME!!! Whap!!! ARRRGGGG!!!!! Whap!!!!"

Before lunch we worked with the slightly less impactful flat side of the sap for creating more of a pain compliance motivational strike on softer targets. The Blackjack does not have this capability like the sap does.

During break time in the afternoon, we were shown improvisational sap/jacks that can be made from locally sourced materials if one found oneself in a foreign location after traveling where you could not take your sap with you. Ingenuity rules the day here, I won't share this publicly but there is no need to be unarmed where ever you go.

The afternoon was spent working some non-sap/jack specific hand to hand (grappling) work on "getting out of the clinch". We worked "Default Positions (covering the head with both arms to prevent knockouts)" Underhooks, Bicep to elbow to wrist ties, duck unders, arm drags,etc.

I'm sure that I have missed other aspects of the class that others can fill in.

The class ended with some of the more youthful and enthusiastic students doing 2/3rd speed evolutions with each other under the watchful eyes of the instructor.

As a FOG (Fat Old Guy) who has been carrying a sap for 2 or 3 years since Texas allowed it, it was a great experience actually learning good working techniques for the sap.

Money and time well spent. As an old guy with arthritis issues, I had no problems with this class.

Gringop

(*) mooks, skells, etc
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List