Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2011 red dot division

USPSA needs a Limited Minor division way more than this idea. These days everyone just wants to shoot 9mm, and Production is dying because no one likes the 10rd mags.

I wouldn't care if they allow 2011s in CO, but they don't need a separate division for it. Would be too similar to CO.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Nobody has won popularity or participation by artificially limiting guns capacity, especially to six rounds. Is IPSC optics light less popular than optics heavy?
    Yes, it is viewed by most people as "plastic pistol cope", and is almost always a smaller division than PO.

Personally I shoot in PO instead of POL despite being a Glock shooter simply because it is uninteresting to be one out of 1-3 people on the results list.

In terms of pure performance, I am not sure a 2011 without a comp, big magwell, 155/170 mags, and frame mounted optic will do better than the current CO pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Think sales performance, more business for your advertisers and sponsors, more shooters joining up just sure that they are all set.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of pure performance, I am not sure a 2011 without a comp, big magwell, 155/170 mags, and frame mounted optic will do better than the current CO pistols.
    I would absolutely shoot one of my TSOs in CO over my Shadow 2.

The frame mag opening on it is similar to a 2011 and it’s easier to hit on a reload than the slimmer 75B opening.

Everything that’s good about a Shadow 2 is good with the TSO.

Plus a crisper, shorter 1.5# SA trigger with very defined reset over a little sloppy and vague SA of a DASA.

Unless someone hates manual safeties, why wouldn’t it do better?

It’s not going to make someone 10% better, but it IS better.

And again, why wouldn’t it be?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

You could make an argument that there is such a thing as CO getting too popular.
    This is on my mind. Ultimately, I don't even compete in CO, so I don't realllly care, but it's a fun topic to weigh in on.

Unless someone is really devoted to the other guns, why *wouldn't* a new shooter pick CO? Between Minor-only scoring and the weight allowance, there's only very minimal recoil, the dot makes the aiming and shooting part far more transparent, there's no need to load specialty stuff like .40 Major Long or 9mm Major- factory ball gets the job done, and the 140mm mag rule means everybody's stepping to the shooting box with over 20 rounds in the gun. Pretty much any modern double stack 9 with a dot and a light is going to be as competitive as anything else.

While I prefer the idea of CO having a pretty limited size & weight envelope to operate inside of, USPSA has spoken, and anything like a re-though Modified division or changes to CO would just piss people off, and I'd rather not see that happen.

While we certainly have examples of skilled people winning with other platforms, the tendency in USPSA and a lot of the other sports is for the 2011 to dominate the divisions that it is eligible to compete. It dominates Limited, Limited-10, and I could pretty easily see it as dominant if it were introduced into CO.

I shoot PCC because it's fun to blaze at close range with a 9mm carbine, I shoot L-10 because I have a handful of pistols that'll always be in my life that fit that division, and I shoot Open because that's where my everyday, living with them, carrying them, have them by the bedside guns are at. If I were to start fresh, it probably would just be in CO.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Modifying CO to include 2011s and starting cocked and locked might be the tipping point for me to go back to Production even if I'm the only one shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    USPSA needs a Limited Minor division way more than this idea. These days everyone just wants to shoot 9mm, and Production is dying because no one likes the 10rd mags.

I wouldn't care if they allow 2011s in CO, but they don't need a separate division for it. Would be too similar to CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I would absolutely shoot one of my TSOs in CO over my Shadow 2.

The frame mag opening on it is similar to a 2011 and it’s easier to hit on a reload than the slimmer 75B opening.

Everything that’s good about a Shadow 2 is good with the TSO.

Plus a crisper, shorter 1.5# SA trigger with very defined reset over a little sloppy and vague SA of a DASA.

Unless someone hates manual safeties, why wouldn’t it do better?

It’s not going to make someone 10% better, but it IS better.

And again, why wouldn’t it be?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Modifying CO to include 2011s and starting cocked and locked might be the tipping point for me to go back to Production even if I'm the only one shooting it.
    Nils just won CO nats with a $600 Canik and, as I recall, came within one percentage of the Limited Nats winner shooting the Canik with 9 minor.

I continue to be underwhelmed with my (in)ability to shoot a Staccato better than a Glock.

Everyone loves equipment, but I am not sure how important it would be in CO. Flashlights, and weighted flashlights seemed like a if real until most realized they didn't mean much.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nils just won CO nats with a $600 Canik and, as I recall, came within one percentage of the Limited Nats winner shooting the Canik with 9 minor.

I continue to be underwhelmed with my (in)ability to shoot a Staccato better than a Glock.

Everyone loves equipment, but I am not sure how important it would be in CO. Flashlights, and weighted flashlights seemed like a if real until most realized they didn't mean much.
    I would be annoyed about losing to someone shooting a super heavy $5000 2011 with a 1.5# trigger, and I would be annoyed winning because someone’s 2011 race gun malfunctioned.

On the other hand, at least I could start hammer down on the decock notch, which we should already be able to do…

I don’t see even the current USPSA BoD being stupid enough to change the CO rules though Production 15, Staccato Division, sure.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    USPSA needs a Limited Minor division way more than this idea.
    In REV division there is a capacity and power factor disconnect. i.e. the lower capacity six gun can be shot w/ major pf scoring, the higher capacity 8-shot revolvers can only be scored minor. Similar to SSTK with 10-minor and 8-major.

I wonder what Limited would look like with minor PF allowing 170mm mags or somesuch. It gives what might be a competitive spot to the 9mm 2011s without completely destroying the current Limited options (such as they are). Maybe one less reload per stage. Not quite as huge an advantage as in REV/SSTK but it's something. edit: maybe one port comps since comp'd minor isn't such a huge deal; that could be a bridge too far but major PF is a big deal. Could smooth out the difference.

User Tag List