Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50+ Old Fashioned Insults We Should Bring Back

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    50+ Old Fashioned Insults We Should Bring Back

Worth a look and have a smile.
    Wow! My mom used to use some of those and she was soft hearted!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Off the list ai think sneaksby is the one I’ll try to use sometimes.

I think my favorite old school curse we should bring back is damn your eyes.

Nearly half the list is directly familiar to me from actual usage to reading old books.
    Several of the others are only slightly different. Frex list says "white livered" I knew "lily livered."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Heh, I use "scallawag" humorously at home, mostly in regards to my rat terrier.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I recall when my Grandfather a gentle giant of a man called my Uncle, his Son, a scoundrel. Pretty damning from someone of his nature.
    My dad was not one to curse, or speak ill of many people. Just minded his own business. But, if he called someone a "bum" that was about the worst thing he could say about them.

Site Supporter
    I have used # 7--"chucklehead" extensively as a father a BSA leader and in the practice of law.

I love # 17. New to me and will be used as appropriate.

17. Gentleman of Four Outs
    When a vulgar, blustering fellow asserts that he is a gentleman, the retort generally is, “Yes, a gentleman of four outs,” that is, without wit, without money, without credit, and without manners.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    French has a few good ones. Calling someone "one who pisses cold" (pisse-froid) means they are defeatist and discouraging.

"Nodocéphale", born of Latin and Greek, literally means "head of knots". (I know "knothead" exists in English too. The French sounds better.)

"Fesse-mathieu" or "buttock matthew" refers to an miser, and owes its origin to the fact that the apostle Matthew was a tax collector before his conversion.
    Last edited by Le Français; 09-13-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    French has a few good ones. Calling someone "one who pisses cold" (pisse-froid) means they are defeatist and discouraging.

"Nodocéphale", born of Latin and Greek, literally means "head of knots". (I know "knothead" exists in English too. The French sounds better.)

"Fesse-mathieu" or "buttock matthew" refers to an miser, and owes its origin to the fact that the apostle Matthew was a tax collector before his conversion.
    Are you familiar with the term “soiffard”? It alludes to thirst (soif) and refers to a drunk.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I am age 60, not 160, and use Rascal, Ruffian, and Scoundrel, regularly. Folks know what I mean. I hear and read others still using these words.

“All Hat, And No Cattle” never went away. I still hear it, here in SE Texas, and sometimes use it, myself. The author of this piece must never listen to country music radio stations.

Col. Jeff Cooper used Fop/Foppish, and Ninnyhammer, from time to time, if I recall correctly. I have seen heard Fop/Foppish, elsewhere.

Chuckle Head is something that I thought was new slang, among folks younger than I am. I reckon it has made quite a comeback.

Cad, Nincompoop, and Skinflint were still in common use, in the Sixties, Seventies, and Eighties, on TV, and in magazine articles.

Dunderhead, Fussbudget, and Gadabout sound awfully familiar, too, from the Sixties, and Seventies, being used by folks born in the early 20th Century, here, in SE Texas.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I always thought it was Greedy Gus

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Are you familiar with the term “soiffard”? It alludes to thirst (soif) and refers to a drunk.

Okie John
    Yup

User Tag List