Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you shouldn't search with a weapon-mounted light on a handgun - Massad Ayoob

The charges probably were the result of brandishing a pistol. I'm not up on all the state laws regarding brandishing but in this state it's a gross misdemeanor.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw a firearm or weapon in a manner that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons. (2) Any person violating this law above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of this law, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license. Take careful note that a conviction of this crime can result in a permanent deprivation of your 2nd amendment rights.
    Nothing in our state law about using a light on a pistol. I have one on my P-30 LEM in my night stand and would use it to investigate any disturbance in my house. Outside I would use another light that would be good for 50 yards. Did that not long ago when my wife woke me up and said she heard someone at the front door. Nobody there.

Putting a light on a pistol doesn't change stupid. That's like trying to turn back the tide.

Great discussion about WML's
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-20-2022 at 02:18 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The charges probably were the result of brandishing a pistol. I'm not up on all the state laws regarding brandishing but in this state it's a gross misdemeanor.

Nothing in our state law about using a light on a pistol. I have one on my P-30 LEM in my night stand and would use it to investigate any disturbance in my house. Outside I would use another light that would be good for 50 yards. Did that not long ago when my wife woke me up and said she heard someone at the front door. Nobody there.

Putting a light on a pistol doesn't change stupid. That's like trying to turn back the tide.

Great discussion about WML's
    In most states, actually pointing guns at people who don’t need to get guns pointed at them meets the statutory definition for felony aggravated assault. You’re using a deadly weapon to put people in fear of serious bodily injury. If you get really lucky and your prosecutor shows you mercy, you might get a misdemeanor brandishing or reckless endangerment instead of a felony but that doesn’t mean your conduct didn’t meet the standard for that felony.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Great summation. How I wish that citizens would concern themselves equally with getting training as they do with their right to carry a gun.
    Makes one wonder why a course isn't required for a concealed carry permit. None required in this state. Hardly anyone open carries on the west side of WA. which is legal.

A few months ago I had to take an abbreviated NRA basic pistol class and pass a live fire test to qualify to use the range at the private club where I shoot. I've been a member for about 8 years. They just initiated the full NRA basic pistol class for all new members a few years ago. This year they decided those who became members without the class should also be tested. I didn't want to do it at first but after I saw the number of people who failed the live fire part I realized there were many who needed some training.

I had planned to go to the pistol range today before I checked the range calendar. They had a pistol class scheduled so the range was closed. That's the first one I've noticed on their schedule. They leave Fridays open so I'll just make that my range day. Not a problem if it gives people an opportunity to get some training. I might look for an advanced class for myself.

These discussions almost always include two sentiments, often exposed by the same person:

1) It probably makes sense to have a light on your home defense pistol.

2) You don't need a light on your CCW pistol. (Often accompanied by snark implying that folks with a WML on their CCW pistol are tact-tards).

Most folks I know carry one gun and, come bedtime, set that same gun on the nightstand. Is that so uncommon? Are there hoards of people out there who have guns they carry, and then another set of guns for defending the homestead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    These discussions almost always include two sentiments, often exposed by the same person:

2) You don't need a light on your CCW pistol. (Often accompanied by snark implying that folks with a WML on their CCW pistol are tact-tards).

Most folks I know carry one gun and, come bedtime, set that same gun on the nightstand. Is that so uncommon? Are there hoards of people out there who have guns they carry, and then another set of guns for defending the homestead?
    Given the number of firearms and the number of gun owners in the US I would say it's a good possibility, but that's just a guess. I think I read someplace that the average gun owner has 7 firearms.

I have a G19 with WML in my nightstand that only comes out of the safe when I want to frustrate the shit out of myself with how poorly I shoot it past 10 yards. It's the only weapon in the house with a light, except for the Zion AR15 that's in the safe downstairs. None of my "carry guns" has a WML

If I only owned ONE handgun, it would not have a WML. I would train the snot out of shooting with a handheld light.

I do. I have 1 primary carry G48 with Holosun, no WML, altough I often carry a Streamlight handheld at night. I have a S&W 340 MP I wear when not wearing a gun or taking the trash out. Next to my bed, I have a GEN4 G17 with X300, plus a Modlite handheld for strange noises at night. For more than noises, I have an M1S90 with SF fore-end upgraded with Malkoff LED, stoked with 13 rounds of Hornady OO light magnum TAP buckshot. The catalytic converter thieves are traveling in packs of 2-4, armed and with a lookout. The Benelli is my little friend.

Makes one wonder why a course isn't required for a concealed carry permit. None required in this state. Hardly anyone open carries on the west side of WA. which is legal.

A few months ago I had to take an abbreviated NRA basic pistol class and pass a live fire test to qualify to use the range at the private club where I shoot. I've been a member for about 8 years. They just initiated the full NRA basic pistol class for all new members a few years ago. This year they decided those who became members without the class should also be tested. I didn't want to do it at first but after I saw the number of people who failed the live fire part I realized there were many who needed some training.

I had planned to go to the pistol range today before I checked the range calendar. They had a pistol class scheduled so the range was closed. That's the first one I've noticed on their schedule. They leave Fridays open so I'll just make that my range day. Not a problem if it gives people an opportunity to get some training. I might look for an advanced class for myself.
    Because pistol permits shouldn't be a thing, and you certainly shouldn't need a course or test to carry a firearm for protection

Makes one wonder why a course isn't required for a concealed carry permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Because pistol permits shouldn't be a thing, and you certainly shouldn't need a course or test to carry a firearm for protection
    I've often felt that in the shall issue states, the required courses were kept very rudimentary to:

1) make sure that the intrusion was minimal to satisfy those who believe pistol permits shouldn't be a thing.

2) to more readily ensure that there weren't barriers to entry for folks who are financially strapped - often those who need a firearm for protection based on where they live.

Constitutional carry makes that all moot in the 15 states that have it in some form or another.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

I don't think it's uncommon.

I don't have any particular desire to carry a pistol concealed with a WML because it's extra bulk and difficulty in concealment for zero extra benefit while I'm carrying the pistol. If I use it on the nightstand I can mount the light for that, or I just do what I typically do and keep the shotgun staged for that.

I'm not bashful about turning on the lights in my domicile, either. Light is information and information is good if I think I'm dealing with bad guys.

If someone wants to carry a WML on their pistol all the time because they use that same pistol for nightstand duty, that's cool. But that doesn't change the rules we're dealing with. The WML is only useful in circumstances when you have a damned compelling reason to have the pistol in your hand. Those reasons are few and far between for everybody, but the armed citizen can expect a higher level of accountability for having their gun out and pointed than the police.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List