Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why you shouldn't search with a weapon-mounted light on a handgun - Massad Ayoob

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Are there hoards of people out there who have guns they carry, and then another set of guns for defending the homestead?
    I don't know about "hoards", but that's what I do. I have a dedicated nightstand gun with a mounted light. I shoot it just often enough to make sure it's in good operational condition and that's it. No light on my carry gun.

Site Supporter
    Stating the obvious. I donít think Mass is advocating never using a weapon light, but not searching with one.

Iíve never drawn a gun in over a decade of carry. I figure if youíre searching after hearing gun fire or seeing a gun/knife youíre good to draw.

That doesnít change when you carry a light. As long as you just keep that mindset I think a weapon light is fine. Just donít consider using that WML unless itíd also be appropriate to have the gun out.

Maybe and I mean like .01% of times where if it was life and death, take the pistol out, slide the light off and reholster the gun. Thatís also why I use the -A Surefire model itís quick attach/detach.

Otherwise youíre searching with your cell phone light like the rest of the dorks who donít carry a dedicated flashlight.

ETA: I think a weapon light also gives you an advantage of seeing more about someone youíre pointing a gun at in a defensive situation and can give a bit more advantage of you can see them and their vision is impaired. Iíd rather know a person is acting crazy in my house/car/wherever with a cell phone in their hand or know itís a gun.

But Iím no expert.

ETA 2:

I had some additional thoughts. I think of this as a strong parallel to an LPVO that are now universally accepted on AR rifles. It gives you an increased ability to positively identified something. But, looking at someone down your scope is a terrible idea. However, if youíre looking for threats, and youíre prepared to shoot. Itís nice to have that additional information to use as an advantage.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-21-2022 at 11:28 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Why you shouldn't search with a weapon-mounted light on a handgun - Massad Ayoob

The only pistol I have that has a flashlight attached to it is my Sig P220 10 mm that pretty much only gets used for when I go out in the woods for defense against four-legged critters. Even though I do keep it loaded with self-defense hollow points when itís at home and not getting used but itís really not even on my list of go-to guns for home defense either. Well, it would probably have priority over my little 22 magnum revolver but thatís itÖlol.

For home defense, the only light my designated home gun has is an automated green laser that turns on as soon as you grip the handgun thatís kept in a little personal safe thatís bolted to the top of my nightstand and right beside it is the rechargeable MagTac Maglite flashlight for when things go bump in the night. Also on that handgun I have glow in the dark iron night sights for if I donít want the laser to come on.

My two carry guns- a Springfield XDE 45 for all-year pocket carry and a compact Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for winter time carry, have automated laser sights attached to them as well but no WML.

I guess Iíve just heard too much bad shit about having a flashlight attached to your handgun when it involves dealing with two-legged critters which is why I donít do it. I just feel like thereís much better options to shine light on things without one, having your flashlight in a place that could be used as a target with you behind it and two, having to point the muzzle of your handgun wherever you want to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by corneileous; 09-22-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Maybe and I mean like .01% of times where if it was life and death, take the pistol out, slide the light off and reholster the gun. Thatís also why I use the -A Surefire model itís quick attach/detach.
    Most light bearing holsters will not properly retain the weapon without the WML attached.

The correct answer is to have both, if must choose between one or the other, hand held is the way to go.

And with all due respect to Mike Glover, 500 lumens ain't shit. I not only want the ability to PID a potential threat (or non-threat) but be also to defeat that threats photonic barriers from his little 500 lumen light being thrown at me.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Most light bearing holsters will not properly retain the weapon without the WML attached.

The correct answer is to have both, if must choose between one or the other, hand held is the way to go.

And with all due respect to Mike Glover, 500 lumens ain't shit. I not only want the ability to PID a potential threat (or non-threat) but be also to defeat that threats photonic barriers from his little 500 lumen light being thrown at me.
    What I picture in the situation requiring me to unholster a gun, pull the light off to search is like one of my small kids (1 and 3) falling into water at night and being fully submerged.

Like literal life and death.

That being said. I have a Pro-Tac light that can take either CR123 or AA. I think Iíll keep it in my front pocket.

Mike did say as a side note that the best option is both. I think Iím unique in that I can comfortably carry a Glock 34 with an x300U and ACRO P2. Iíve carried it basically all vacation this week except when at the beach or when going to the literal beach, pool, or a pirate ship ride where they promised youíd get soaked (I pocket carried a Ruger LCP). I helped my sister-in-law move concealed carrying including moving and picking up a piano, etc. carrying a 34 with x300.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List