8 57.14%
  • You’re crazy for spending that cash to make a campfire

4 28.57%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Help me spend money on a camp knife

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    @TOTS

I got nothin'. I'm not that well versed in higher end axes. Nearby is a very nice cutlery store and a very knowledgeable staffer after professionally returning a beat to hell ESEE Junglas to razor sharp saw me oogling the axes and machetes and he gave me a tutorial on the Swedish axes. He recommended the Akka as his favorite and it blew me away for how light and agile it felt. That's the extent of my edu on this.

https://oldetownecutlery.com/
    I like that place. Any family owned place that you can handle everything in the shop without having to bother any of the employees, generally has coffee ready and offers a variety of quality working tools is a winner. It was a good place to stop and stretch my legs when going to visit our kid. We no longer get to make that trip but I hope to still get by there every once in a while.

Might give some food for thought

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    You guys convinced me to buy the Glock 19 version of a Camp Axe. Loving it so far. Put my own edge on it that won’t shave hair, but will slice paper. Council Tool Hudson Bay; 2 lbs is perfect for a one hand use but the 24 in handle is just long enough to chop with two. Made in the US with a lifetime warranty. Hardened poll. I forewent the top tier axe as it’s truly just a tool and so I can do the PF thing and get another gun.

Name:  EF59733E-66D0-4A1C-B374-6A66EC55B9B0.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  92.1 KB
    Name:  D8BB7832-212E-4D76-8389-42A91FBE3478.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  58.7 KBGood

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    You guys convinced me to buy the Glock 19 version of a Camp Axe. Loving it so far. Put my own edge on it that won’t shave hair, but will slice paper. Council Tool Hudson Bay; 2 lbs is perfect for a one hand use but the 24 in handle is just long enough to chop with two. Made in the US with a lifetime warranty. Hardened poll. I forewent the top tier axe as it’s truly just a tool and so I can do the PF thing and get another gun.

Name:  EF59733E-66D0-4A1C-B374-6A66EC55B9B0.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  92.1 KB
    You have chosen wisely. The current production Council Tools HB would probably be my choice if I could only have one axe and not get brained with it by my wife for overspending.

(And in that length, too... my HB actually measures a hair under 23" between the extreme ends of the wood.)

As for a knife, I still like a well-done 1095 blade for all-around utility use, but have no illusion about them being the best steel for any given task(s). They are, however, affordable and easy to maintain.
    Like some others here, I think Ol' Horace had the right idea and I like the Kephart-style knives; the closer they are to the Colclesser Brothers originals the better I like them... but for an off-the-rack version it is hard to beat the Becker BK62 (though nowadays I oddly find myself actually carrying an ESEE PR4 more often).

All that being said, I find a Victorinox Alox Pioneer, Farmer or old-school Soldier to be without a doubt my most used edged tool over the past 40 years.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter

Kephart goodness

Like some others here, I think Ol' Horace had the right idea and I like the Kephart-style knives; the closer they are to the Colclesser Brothers originals the better I like them... but for an off-the-rack version it is hard to beat the Becker BK62 (though nowadays I oddly find myself actually carrying an ESEE PR4 more often).
    Name:  Kephartknives.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  41.7 KB

Thanks for the enabling, GN.
    I like the Becker's balance in hand, but I've put neither to work yet.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Name:  Kephartknives.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  41.7 KB

Thanks for the enabling, GN.
    I like the Becker's balance in hand, but I've put neither to work yet.
    This sort of responsibility lies heavily upon me. On the other hand, it is reassuring to see someone else appreciating these two specimens.

The Becker's balance is more like what I expect in a "Kephart," but I do like the ESEE's blade length (which surprised me); I think that if the blade length was averaged between the two, i would like both a bit better, but that's just my opinion.

I wish the Becker's scales had been attached less obtrusively (in the tactile sence), because my hand is always "aware" of the fasteners. Otherwise, it is a great all-purpose outdoor knife most people can afford.

I thought I would HATE the PR4 when I first saw how thin the scales were, but I bought it on the recommendation of someone who is generally on the ball, knifewise. As it turned out, they weren't bad for me, just different. Dang ol' thing has really grown on me!

But the truth be told, I find an Izula with TKC scales gets clipped onto the daypack more often these days, while a 1986 Victorinox Alox "Soldier" rides in a pants pocket. My blade length preferences are creeping down as my age is creeping up.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Name:  F454AE2A-20A5-466E-A4F4-21ED7BC9811D.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  57.0 KB

This TOPS DART was a gift from a friend. Made of leaf spring steel (5160) it’s relatively easy to field sharpen and can take a beating. Other than standard corrosion concerns, I never hesitate to trust a good carbon steel for a field knife.

My choice for heavier camp chores

Name:  3173FBB0-75B1-44EA-806E-EFB716C39D32.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  20.8 KB

And one of these for general use

Name:  D2601C65-742F-4DDB-91F6-EE70F002B6E7.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  47.4 KB

User Tag List