Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 6.5 or .308 bolt action @ Brownells...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the 6.5 HMR Premier Pro - must have gotten the last one as it is now OOS. Pretty excited, will be my first foray into a "real" precision rifle.

Already have a Viper PST 2 5-25 on order for it as well, at $650 on sale from Eurooptic it is hard to do better for the money right now.
    Cool!

I have one in 6 CM, and it's a tack driver. A bit on the heavy side for carry into the deer woods. Quite fun at the range.

Congrats. A friend has the identical rifle and it shoots fantastic.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    well, it's finally here.

Still need to properly time the muzzle devices - shims I had on hand were too thin so going to try and source those as able. Shouldnt be an issue with the can mounted however.

First thing I will upgrade down the line is the scope... but this will do just fine for now.

Sweet!

Surefire makes a decent (IMHO) shim set for their cans.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Surefire makes a decent (IMHO) shim set for their cans.
    Instead of using a bunch of thin shims, I modify a single one that is close using a whetstone.

@Nephrology
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Instead of using a bunch of thin shims, I modify a single one that is close using a whetstone.

@Nephrology
    Hmm I'll check it out. I already spent $20 on shim kits so i'll be patient and wait to see if those work when they get here.

Finally took it out yesterday - will post pics later on.

I do think that I will end up upgrading the stock sooner than later. Not that happy with it overall and it seems like I can probably sell it for $300 or thereabouts.

What do people think about the Magpul Pro? Primary Arms has them on sale, $725 for fixed $800 for folding. weighing that vs. a KRG of some kind.

The magpul does seem a lot more feature rich for only $350 more or so. Any thoughts?

Finally took it out yesterday - will post pics later on.

I do think that I will end up upgrading the stock sooner than later. Not that happy with it overall and it seems like I can probably sell it for $300 or thereabouts.

What do people think about the Magpul Pro? Primary Arms has them on sale, $725 for fixed $800 for folding. weighing that vs. a KRG of some kind.

The magpul does seem a lot more feature rich for only $350 more or so. Any thoughts?
    A lot depends on your mission for this rifle. The Magpul Pro is heavy at 5.5# for the fixed. If you want a long range precision rifle for shooting steel, it seems like a decent option.

The KRG Bravo is lighter, and more economical. I have one on one of my rifles, and like the ergos a lot.

Personally, if I was going for a chassis on a long-range steel gun I would get either one from MDT, or splurge for the ARC Xylo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A lot depends on your mission for this rifle. The Magpul Pro is heavy at 5.5# for the fixed. If you want a long range precision rifle for shooting steel, it seems like a decent option.

The KRG Bravo is lighter, and more economical. I have one on one of my rifles, and like the ergos a lot.

Personally, if I was going for a chassis on a long-range steel gun I would get either one from MDT, or splurge for the ARC Xylo.
    I do vaguely like the idea of having the rifle be somewhat portable as the barrel contour itself is sort of a hedge in weight, but if we are honest I will almost certainly never use this for hunting (have a better purpose-built 30-06 I'd use first) so the added weight isn't hte biggest turnoff in the world.

What do you like about the MDT? I would generally prefer more economical/"best bang for buck" but willing to spend more $ if it gets me an according return on investment in quality.

I will say the one thing about the Bravo that is a vague turn off is that it doesnt seem to offer much feature wise vs. the stock I have, except perhaps better quality. I know it can be upgraded more readily but if that is the case would rather buy something with those features already present. Folding stock is nice as the thing is fucking long and would fit in my big ass pelican case if it could fold but not hung up on that feature per se.

What do you like about the MDT? I would generally prefer more economical/"best bang for buck" but willing to spend more $ if it gets me an according return on investment…
    MDT has an excellent and long-standing reputation in the PR world. It’s a very flexible modular and purpose built design. @Cdub_NW has at least two.

Nothing wrong with Magpul, just not a company I think of first for a long range rifle, based on their previous mediocre offerings. To be fair I have not tried their new chassis.

User Tag List