Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 6.5 or .308 bolt action @ Brownells...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Looking for a 6.5 or .308 bolt action @ Brownells...

So, my brother surprised me with a birthday/graduation gift of a $1250 gift card at Brownells. not the retailer I would have picked exactly but hey. I am not whining.

I am 99.9% certain that I want to finally scratch the short-action bolt rifle itch Ive had. Requirements:

- Good quality, good aftermarket
    - 20" barrel if 308, up to 24" if 6.5
    - Barrel must come threaded
    - Best possible value (not looking to overpay or half ass it either). Ideally <$1250 but I will go over for the right gun
    - Ideally price includes a reasonable stock I won't hate
    - Takes AICS mags ideally

Unfortunately Brownell's selection is a little skimpy right now. Was hoping they had their howa barreled actions as a 20" 308 with a KRG chassis would definitely be the ticket. They sell the combo rifle but it is OOS and while backorderable, it seems like they discontinued that item so not sure its worth holding my breath.

Otherwise they have the B-14 HMR at $1200 which seems a bit overpriced. The SIG Cross is a little above my price point and heard mixed things re: quality. Open to any other thoughts. May just wait for those barreled Howa actions to get in stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So, my brother surprised me with a birthday/graduation gift of a $1250 gift card at Brownells. not the retailer I would have picked exactly but hey. I am not whining.

I am 99.9% certain that I want to finally scratch the short-action bolt rifle itch Ive had. Requirements:

- Good quality, good aftermarket
    - 20" barrel if 308, up to 24" if 6.5
    - Barrel must come threaded
    - Best possible value (not looking to overpay or half ass it either). Ideally <$1250 but I will go over for the right gun
    - Ideally price includes a reasonable stock I won't hate
    - Takes AICS mags ideally

Unfortunately Brownell's selection is a little skimpy right now. Was hoping they had their howa barreled actions as a 20" 308 with a KRG chassis would definitely be the ticket. They sell the combo rifle but it is OOS and while backorderable, it seems like they discontinued that item so not sure its worth holding my breath.

Otherwise they have the B-14 HMR at $1200 which seems a bit overpriced. The SIG Cross is a little above my price point and heard mixed things re: quality. Open to any other thoughts. May just wait for those barreled Howa actions to get in stock...
    If turnkey, the Bergara is the only one that they have that checks all the boxs. Brownells seemed to be blowing out a lot of howa actions cheap right before covid and I haven't seem them get back in stock since. If you are willing to DIY, they have a Remington action ($600) and a KRG stock stock (bravo $350) , new trigger (150-250) and scope base (40-100). Unfortunately Brownells is out of prefit barrels right now but plenty of options abound for a prefit - I would recommend Greg ant Southern Precision, if looking for a really nice custom prefit (over budget) if you were interested in slightly smaller calibers I would say look at urban rifleman's prefits for a 6 creed or 6XC ($270ish). The rifle I describe would give you the majority of a performance of a nice custom precision rifle, none of the parts would need to be thrown away if you want to rebarrel it or build it into something more later and it should most definitely be able to scratch for a bolt gun...

Alternately can you buy the glass for your bolt gun from brownells with gift card and get what you want from someone else?
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    If turnkey, the Bergara is the only one that they have that checks all the boxs. Brownells seemed to be blowing out a lot of howa actions cheap right before covid and I haven't seem them get back in stock since. If you are willing to DIY, they have a Remington action ($600) and a KRG stock stock (bravo $350) , new trigger (150-250) and scope base (40-100). Unfortunately Brownells is out of prefit barrels right now but plenty of options abound for a prefit - I would recommend Greg ant Southern Precision, if looking for a really nice custom prefit (over budget) if you were interested in slightly smaller calibers I would say look at urban rifleman's prefits for a 6 creed or 6XC ($270ish). The rifle I describe would give you the majority of a performance of a nice custom precision rifle, none of the parts would need to be thrown away if you want to rebarrel it or build it into something more later and it should most definitely be able to scratch for a bolt gun...

Alternately can you buy the glass for your bolt gun from brownells with gift card and get what you want from someone else?
    Currently eyeballing the Bergara HMR Premier Pro pretty hard ... it's only $450 more than their HMR-14 but has the triggertech trigger and their premier action. 24" 6.5CM. Hmmm

Currently eyeballing the Bergara HMR Premier Pro pretty hard ... it's only $450 more than their HMR-14 but has the triggertech trigger and their premier action. 24" 6.5CM. Hmmm

I haven't handled their mini-chassis but I have handled the HMR-14 stock. Chassis preference is a very individual thing, and neither of us know if that one works for you. I really like the KRG for the value and weight and ergonomics., much more universal fit IMO. There is some residual value to a B-14 stock or a chassis if you picked either and didn't like it. I would be tempted to go B-14, peddle the stock for half the cost a bravo and put a triggertech 2 stage trigger in it for about the same money as a pro...

Same could be said for the pro, if the chassis doesn't work peddle it for most of the cost of a KRG and if the cheaper trigger tech doesn't satisfy you, it could be peddled to make a tt 2 stage or a tt diamond a reality.....

I haven't handled their mini-chassis but I have handled the HMR-14 stock. Chassis preference is a very individual thing, and neither of us know if that one works for you. I really like the KRG for the value and weight and ergonomics., much more universal fit IMO. There is some residual value to a B-14 stock or a chassis if you picked either and didn't like it. I would be tempted to go B-14, peddle the stock for half the cost a bravo and put a triggertech 2 stage trigger in it for about the same money as a pro...

Same could be said for the pro, if the chassis doesn't work peddle it for most of the cost of a KRG and if the cheaper trigger tech doesn't satisfy you, it could be peddled to make a tt 2 stage or a tt diamond a reality.....
    Any reason to swing for a 308 vs the 6.5? Barrel life seems to be the only real consideration from where I am sitting. Not sure how important that truly is.

Any reason to swing for a 308 vs the 6.5? Barrel life seems to be the only real consideration from where I am sitting. Not sure how important that truly is.
    That looks good. It's not stupid heavy, but will take a suppressor.

I'd go with 6.5 CM, or if you're reloading consider 6.5 PRC. I haven't shot my .308 in at least 4 years.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

While barrel life is better with a 308 (2x) I see barrels as consumables...
    The real advantages of 308 are slim with the biggest being ammo dearth's like CV the last few years 6.5 wasw unobtanium 308 could be found along with 5.56....
    The next biggest advantage of a 308 is harder to find- some competitions have .308 requirements (NRA Palma, PRS tactical etc) on the biggest of game animals it may perform better... both of these are stretches when trying to decide caliber.

Right now I would say go 6.5 for all its advantages (recoil and ballistics) and stock up on Norma match ammo at velocity ammunition for $250/case until/if you decide to reload for it. A 308 will be more $per trigger pull even if it is almost always available

While barrel life is better with a 308 (2x) I see barrels as consumables...
    The real advantages of 308 are slim with the biggest being ammo dearth's like CV the last few years 6.5 wasw unobtanium 308 could be found along with 5.56....
    The next biggest advantage of a 308 is harder to find- some competitions have .308 requirements (NRA Palma, PRS tactical etc) on the biggest of game animals it may perform better... both of these are stretches when trying to decide caliber.

Right now I would say go 6.5 for all its advantages (recoil and ballistics) and stock up on Norma match ammo at velocity ammunition for $250/case until/if you decide to reload for it. A 308 will be more $per trigger pull even if it is almost always available
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That looks good. It's not stupid heavy, but will take a suppressor.

I'd go with 6.5 CM, or if you're reloading consider 6.5 PRC. I haven't shot my .308 in at least 4 years.
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the 6.5 HMR Premier Pro - must have gotten the last one as it is now OOS. Pretty excited, will be my first foray into a "real" precision rifle.

Already have a Viper PST 2 5-25 on order for it as well, at $650 on sale from Eurooptic it is hard to do better for the money right now.

Site Supporter
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the 6.5 HMR Premier Pro - must have gotten the last one as it is now OOS. Pretty excited, will be my first foray into a "real" precision rifle.

Already have a Viper PST 2 5-25 on order for it as well, at $650 on sale from Eurooptic it is hard to do better for the money right now.
    Congrats, that is a nice rifle and a good starting optic. Be interested to hear early range reports.

Enjoy! Let us know how far down the rabbit hole you go.

I’m way down, almost to the bottom. Just a little more . . . .
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List