Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechargeable batteries in WMLs

Rechargeable batteries in WMLs

This thread for discussion about using Lithium Ion rechargeables in WMLs that aren't designed for them.

I have been experimenting with a 16340 rechargeable in a Streamlight TLR-7. It's noticeably brighter, and so far I haven't destroyed the light. However, the manual specifies a CR-123a only.

Thoughts? Anyone else tried this?

@NH Shooter
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Many lights can handle it. I ASSume since Streamlight sells their own rechargeable cells which are themselves variants of 16650s - that's probably not a problem.

Surefire now offers a rechargeable CR123A. Though I suspect it is a 16340 from the same OEM that Streamlight uses.

Site Supporter
    Using 16340 in a light which was designed for a single CR123 is likely to shorten the life of the LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Out of my lane but I'm interested to read the answers. I did some googling a while ago and noted that there seem to be primaries that have the same voltage (range? no, just nominal) as secondaries (3.7V, typically 4.2 to 2.4). I also found primaries that do not have the same voltage, e.g. 3V nominal. I don't know what that does in circuit.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thoughts? Anyone else tried this?

@NH Shooter
    So far, the (2) CR123 handheld lights I've tried, a 16650 Li-ion worked fine. But that's a drop in voltage from 6 to 4.2.

In something that takes two CR123s side-by-side, going from 6 volts to 8.4 with two 16340 Li-ion cells might be a different story, though I haven't tried it.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    So far, the (2) CR123 handheld lights I've tried, a 16650 Li-ion worked fine. But that's a drop in voltage from 6 to 4.2.

In something that takes two CR123s side-by-side, going from 6 volts to 8.4 with two 16340 Li-ion cells might be a different story, though I haven't tried it.
    I'm seeing nominal voltage on a lot of current production 16340s at 3.6-3.7v so that would be about 7-7.5v. Seems like the 4.2v 16340/RCR123s are a thing of the past (probably a good thing).

Surefire's RC 123 is a Lithium-Iron Phosphate instead of Li-Ion, but Surefire reports 3.2v nominal voltage, but that off their charger you can expect 3.65v. The biggest difference is Surefire is a 450mah instead of 650-700mah for most Li-Ions. I bet there is a pretty rapid voltage drop for the Surefires, might help prevent overheating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm seeing nominal voltage on a lot of current production 16340s at 3.6-3.7v so that would be about 7-7.5v. Seems like the 4.2v 16340/RCR123s are a thing of the past (probably a good thing).

Surefire's RC 123 is a Lithium-Iron Phosphate instead of Li-Ion, but Surefire reports 3.2v nominal voltage, but that off their charger you can expect 3.65v. The biggest difference is Surefire is a 450mah instead of 650-700mah for most Li-Ions. I bet there is a pretty rapid voltage drop for the Surefires, might help prevent overheating.
    Every Li-Ion cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7 v., but the actual voltage is anywhere from 2.5 to 4.2 volts depending on how fully it is charged.

The Surefire Li-Ion Phosphate should be safe to use, since the voltage is much closer to that of CR123.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Every Li-Ion cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7 v., but the actual voltage is anywhere from 2.5 to 4.2 volts depending on how fully it is charged.

The Surefire Li-Ion Phosphate should be safe to use, since the voltage is much closer to that of CR123.
    3.7ish is the nominal for NMC. LFP is 3.2, and it has a very flat voltage curve.

I don’t know enough about the circuit design of flashlights to know what to expect wjll happen. Is the LED expecting a certain amount of voltage, and if you’re low will it make up for it in current? That would suck.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I had an older Surefire Scout light that ran their first gen LED head. It ran on 2 CR123. I tried running 2 rechargeable RCR123, and killed the head.

As far as I remember, SF now offers rechargeable RCR123s and can be run in their CR123 light because they have less power then most other RCR123s. I think SF only recommends them for training purposes because they off less run time and less brightness.

Surprisingly the TWM-30 from Nightstick does not support 16340 batteries. If this was an older product that would make some sense. But it is a fairly new light; having been introduced about a year ago?

I have found the light works fine on the Surefire brand Lifepo4 batteries. Run time at good brightness is probably about 45 minutes. Maybe a little less. After that the brightness decrease is dramatic.

Anyway, just another option that might work for someone concerned about the extra juice from the 16340 vs 123.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List