Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9/11/2022

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Never forget.
    Never will, it's impossible.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

When I was younger, I could never understand my father's continued remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the bitterness that came with it.

That bit of innocence died twenty one years ago.

Never forget.

Site Supporter
    Fist Bump Joe! Don't kill Osama, Joe!

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Never forget. Never Forgive.
    Fixed it for you

This one has always hit me hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla

At 8:46 A.M. on the morning of September 11, 2001, American Airlines Flight 11 struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC 1).[20][21] Rescorla heard the explosion and saw the tower burning from his office window in the 44th floor of the South Tower (WTC 2). When a Port Authority announcement came over the P.A. system urging people to stay at their desks, and before United Airlines Flight 175 would strike the South Tower at 9:03 A.M.,[22] Rescorla ignored the announcement, grabbed his bullhorn, walkie-talkie and cell phone, and began systematically to order the roughly 2,700 Morgan Stanley employees in the South Tower to evacuate, in addition to the employees in WTC 5, numbering around 1,000. While watching the news coverage, in a phone call to his best friend, Dan Hill, Rescorla said, "The dumb sons of bitches told me not to evacuate," and, "They said it's just Building One. I told them I'm getting my people the fuck out of here."[4] He directed people down a stairwell from a bottleneck on the 44th floor, keeping people away from elevators while telling them to remain calm.[23]

Rescorla had boosted morale among his men in Vietnam by singing Cornish songs from his youth, and now he did the same in the stairwell, singing songs such as one based on the Welsh song "Men of Harlech":

Men of Cornwall stop your dreaming;

Can't you see their spearpoints gleaming?

See their warriors' pennants streaming

To this battlefield.

Men of Cornwall stand ye steady;

It cannot be ever said ye

for the battle were not ready;

Stand and never yield!

Between songs, Rescorla called his wife, telling her, "Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life," and Susan replied, "You made my life, too" before the phone went dead.[24] After successfully evacuating almost all of Morgan Stanley's 2,700 employees, he went back into the building.[4][25][26] When one of his colleagues told him he too had to evacuate the World Trade Center, Rescorla replied, "As soon as I make sure everyone else is out."[27] He was last seen on the 10th floor of the South Tower, heading upward, shortly before its collapse at 9:59 A.M., 56 minutes after being struck by United Airlines Flight 175. A total of 13 Morgan Stanley employees died in the September 11 attacks,[28] including Rescorla, his deputies Wesley Mercer and Jorge Valezquez, and security guard Godwin Forde, who had collectively stayed behind to help others.[29][30] Rescorla was declared dead three weeks after the attacks.[4] Although medical examiners continued to identify victims of the attacks from recovered remains as late as September 2021, as of that date,[31] none have been identified as those of Rescorla.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I was in Cleveland. Someone said that there was an airplane inbound to Cleveland that might have been hijacked. I said something along the lines of: "Get real. they're going to hit Boston, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. They're not going to hit Cleveland. Most people in the world don't know where it is."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I was in Cleveland. Someone said that there was an airplane inbound to Cleveland that might have been hijacked. I said something along the lines of: "Get real. they're going to hit Boston, Chicago, LA or San Francisco. They're not going to hit Cleveland. Most people in the world don't know where it is."
    Unless they’ve watched the Drew Carey show.

9/11/2022

I legitimately remember it better than anything else in my life. I was in Iceland on a NATO base, in 4th grade. It was later in the day. A 5th grader burst into the room and shouted that a plane hit the World Trade Center. I didn’t know what it was until we went next door where they had a TV on a cart tuned into some news channel and I recognized the towers from TV. I watched live as the second plane hit and both towers collapsed. At some point, they raised the FPCON level and sent all of us home. I walked across the street to our house and saw a HMMWV with a loaded M240 outside and could hear fighters overhead. I watched every second that I could of that conflict for the majority of my life since I already knew I wanted to be in the military. I remember the odd feeling as a college freshman when Obama was talking about pulling everyone out of AFG. Not sure that it’ll ever sit well that somehow I never went, especially considering how hard I watched our final withdrawal hit some of my friends and teammates.

I just got back from our football stadium. I went up and down the stairs 14 times for a total of 2,198 steps in my plate carrier and helmet. There was an older gentleman there, probably in his mid-40s, that looked to be doing the same in civvies. It was raining hard for most of it, every part of me was soaked which felt fitting. No one was really around to see but I do regret not bringing my flag.

I also really regret not doing something more formal between the school and ROTC program that I recently started working for. Next year, we absolutely will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    LHA-5 USS Peleliu

9/10/2001 I was in Red Bank, New Jersey for my niece's baptism. That evening I drove home up I-95 and marveled at the NYC skyline as we passed Manhattan. Little did I know the Twin Towers would be gone in a matter of hours.

The morning of 9/11 I was holding my then infant son and feeding him. I watched History unfold live on CNN.

20 years 364 days later my son returned from Ft. Benning (yesterday) as an Airborne Infantryman!

User Tag List