Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Flashlight Review | Streamlight ProTac 2L-X

EDC Flashlight Review | Streamlight ProTac 2L-X

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Nice Review!

I've always liked the ProTac 1L-1AA for a EDC light

Its only 350 lumens but it fits the pocket and the hand just right.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    My favorite light. I have 4 of them around and a brand new one in the safe just in case I lose one. The Streamlight 18650s they come with are nice too!

Site Supporter
    I've carried a Protac 1L-1AA in my pocket everyday for years (including this very moment). Its finish worn but reliable, bright enough for me, and I can can use it effectively for mundane tasks as well as with a pistol. Its relatively cheap in the event I loose it and I'd totally recommend it.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been carrying the old 2L for around a decade and love the idea of this one. Wondering if it’s worth upgrading though. I’m mainly interested in the programmability of just high and low; getting rid of the strobe function.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’ve been carrying the old 2L for around a decade and love the idea of this one. Wondering if it’s worth upgrading though. I’m mainly interested in the programmability of just high and low; getting rid of the strobe function.
    The program allows low-high, but not high-low. I think low-high has a lot of utility for general purposes, but for the application discussed the light must always activate on high.

Since I'm heavily into Li-ion cells with my other lights, being able to run an 18650 3500 mAh cell is IMO a big advantage. The 2L-X draws 1.1 amps on high, so that's about three hours of run time on a fully charged cell.

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    The Streamlight 18650s they come with are nice too!
    Definitely good for those who are not going to use Li-ion in any other lights. But the SL-B26 cell has only 2600 mAh of capacity, the rest is lost packing the extra (and fragile) electronics and USB port into the cell.

The cell still has to be removed from the light to be charged. For about the same price, you can do this (and buy extra 3500 mAh cells for much less than the SL-B26);

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...650-26800.html

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...utton-top.html
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    If you've been happy witht the 2L output but want High/Lo and rechargeable look at the Macrostream. You charge through a port on the light, UI is High/low only, 500 lumens and it's just a little longer than the 1L-1AA. It's not perfect, I wish it had Ten Tap so that I could just set High and it would be nice if the beam was tighter. I have found myself carrying it more than I thought I would.

We also have several 1l-1AAs and Polytac Xs that I've been happy with.
    Last edited by Crashpad; 09-03-2022 at 05:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    If you've been happy witht the 2L output but want High/Lo and rechargeable look at the Macrostream. You charge through a port on the light, UI is High/low only, 500 lumens and it's just a little longer than the 1L-1AA. It's not perfect, I wish it had Ten Tap so that I could just set High and it would be nice if the beam was tighter. I have found myself carrying it more than I thought I would.

We also have several 1l-1AAs and Polytac Xs that I've been happy with.
    Thanks. A concern though. I’m largely ignorant of lights, so a genuine question; should I be concerned at the disparity in candela? While only having 350 lumens, the 2L has 6300 while the Macrostream is significantly less at 2000.

If there’s a lumen vs candela caliber war going on, forgive me for opening up this can of worms. I haven’t done any reading yet on this subject.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. A concern though. I’m largely ignorant of lights, so a genuine question; should I be concerned at the disparity in candela? While only having 350 lumens, the 2L has 6300 while the Macrostream is significantly less at 2000.

If there’s a lumen vs candela caliber war going on, forgive me for opening up this can of worms. I haven’t done any reading yet on this subject.
    I wouldn't be the one to ask. I don't worry much about the specifics when it comes to candela, tint, etc. I find a size I like with "enough" output and a UI I can live with that isn't so expensive that it'll bother me to lose it.

I've been carrying a Sufefire EDCL-2T for quite a while and really like it. Unfortunately I lost it, somewhere in the house, and haven't decided what to replace it with yet.

Lumens = luminous flux

Candela = luminous intensity

A high-candela light is going to punch through auto glass and put a LOT more light on the subject.

1,000 lumens / 12,000 candela;

500 lumens / 35,000 candela;

In low-light settings, high-candela is the way to roll.

User Tag List