Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Model 10 Fans...

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Per the description in several of the listings:

"THE MAX HAYWARD COLLECTION"
    Ahh, thanks. Clearly, I didn’t read closely enough. Off to Google M. Hayward…

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    From what I’ve seen, Woodlawn Boys auction off a collection (or numerous parts thereof) every 30-45 days. A few months back, there was a huge hunk of Hank Williams Sr’s revolvers that went onto the block. Sometimes you can find a sleeper, sometimes they take off into orbit. It’s hit and miss.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I like the 3" round butt and the 4" heavy barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My 3" is a SB, as are all of my 4"ers. For me, there's no benefit from a RB, since I'm 6'1" with average size hands for my height.
    If I bought it I’d end up doing a semi-RB like D Bolke did with his custom 64s.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Me too. I added that to my watchlist just to follow it to see the end price.
    Already over a grand. I’ll go with… hmmm… 2100. Just spitballing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

For Those Model 10 Fans...

I noticed one of the pre Model 10s had the duller blue finish I’ve seen occasionally over the years.

Is that a period-specific variation, or something agencies asked for?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946276930

Site Supporter
    I doubt that that's a factory finish, it's just a decently done refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I noticed one of the pre Model 10s had the duller blue finish I’ve seen occasionally over the years.

Is that a period-specific variation, or something agencies asked for?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946276930
    Based on my non-expert experience/knowledge with that vintage, the finish on that gun is correct and original.

That gun appears to be an early to mid 1950's vintage. The finish, roll marks, multiple serial numbers, etc. all fit with the guns that were shipping in the early to mid 1950's.

Given the source of that gun is the Max Hayward Collection, it's highly unlikely to be anything but original.
    Also, the seller is one of the most knowledgeable S&W guys on the planet, and if that was a refinish, it would be stated in the listing.
    Last edited by tango-papa; 09-12-2022 at 11:49 AM.

For Those Model 10 Fans...

I’m pretty sure that’s factory. I’ve seen too many over the years with an identical finish.

In fact here’s one from the same collection:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946276929

My thumb-in-the-wind analysis is they appeared post-war to the start of numbered models.

SCSW 3rd Edition makes no mention that I can find.

Off the the blue forum.

That's a tough call. The rule of thumb is that anything is possible with Smith.

This seller moves enough high-end stuff to know what they're selling, and they didn't call it out in the description. This gun has a fishhook hammer, so it was built right after WWII. I've owned a couple of fishhook K-22s of that vintage that were finished like that, so the matte finish doesn't strike me as irregular.

That said, it looks like someone might have blued over a couple of pits in the cylinder flutes and in the front end of the side plate. But the edges of roll marks, the edges of the side plate, and the side plate recess are all still crisp. Normally those are the first casualties when the smith polishes the gun to get rid of the old finish and any dings. The edges of the screw holes and the hole where the barrel pin goes through the frame also look really crisp--polishing usually dishes them out as well.

Here are a couple of (admittedly) extreme examples of how that looks: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946875002 and https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946456251

The trademark on the right side of the frame is a little thin from about three o'clock to about five o'clock, but those can be thin in places even on an unfired gun.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List