Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Bullets.

Site Supporter

Wood Bullets.

I was watching an episode of Midsomer Murders were a guy was killed with a gun designed to fire wooden bullets. I called BS, but just to be sure I used my Goole Fu to check it out.

Turns out there is actually a gun designed to use wood core bullets.
    Name:  WoodBullets.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  28.0 KB
    Any thoughts or info will be appreciated. My first impulse is that wood couldn't carry enough kinetic energy to be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    My first impulse is that wood couldn't carry enough kinetic energy to be fatal.
    one word : vampires
    Yippee ki-yay

I was watching an episode of Midsomer Murders were a guy was killed with a gun designed to fire wooden bullets. I called BS, but just to be sure I used my Goole Fu to check it out.

Turns out there is actually a gun designed to use wood core bullets.
    Name:  WoodBullets.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  28.0 KB
    Any thoughts or info will be appreciated. My first impulse is that wood couldn't carry enough kinetic energy to be fatal.
    Used to be tons of that surplus ammo available at gun shows.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Lots of European countries used wooden bullets in their rifle blanks in the early 1900’s. They usually had metal adaptors that screwed onto the threads that were designed to shred the bullet. I wouldn’t want to be shot with one of those at close range.

Also, some woods like ebony are dense enough that even out of a pistol I bet they would get enough penetration to be lethal if they hit te right spot at close range, especially if it’s a contact shot where muzzle blast would help in tearing the skin aiding penetration

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Thanks for sharing those. Good writing.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Thanks for sharing those. Good writing.
    Thanks. I should start doing those flash-fiction challenges again. They’re fun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Thanks. I should start doing those flash-fiction challenges again. They’re fun.
    What did the brother want?!

That Danish pistol was taking part in the early 1900 US pistol trials, so the cartridge was at least meant to be a service pistol cartridge. And a .45 caliber 55 grain bullet being launched at 1600fps does sound like it might sting a bit. Not that I can't see the problems with a cartridge like that, but I certainly wouldn't call it non lethal.

Excellent writing! Thank you.
    Last edited by That Guy; 09-10-2022 at 04:11 AM. Reason: make write less bad

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What did the brother want?!
    To ask what happened. The flash-fiction challenges were limited to 1,000 words, so that's as far as the story could go.

User Tag List