Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Happens to Bullets When They Hit Auto Glass?

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Your explanation is a pretty good one for someone who admits to having struggled with kinematics.

The turning moment, more correctly defined as ''moment of force'', induced by the asymmetric contact projectile/target interface is dependent upon the angle of the impact face. There is also a critical angle, ß, at which the projectile cannot overcome the dynamic strength, RT, of the target being struck which results in the projectile being fully deflected (ricochet) from the target face, failing to defeat it.

In the AT model, Tate (of Alekseeskii and Tate) computes the deflection vector as being perpendicular to the axis of the rod multiplied by one-half the length of the rod, to obtain the moment of force about the projectile's center of gravity. This moment induces a longitudinal rotation in the projectile body—which is treated as being rigid—that results in the critical ricochet condition.

Attachment 94235

In later work, Rosenberg et al. go about the process of determining the critical deflection angle differently. In their approach, the asymmetric force assumed in Tate’s model is assumed to act only upon the mass located at the tip of the projectile which is engaged by direct contact at the nose-target interface. This alteration was made in order to account for the plastic hinge that occurs as the forward portion of the rod bends during its deflection from the target face. Rosenberg's model is also dependent upon the dynamic target strength, RT, which is velocity-dependent in that as impact velocity increases RT decreases, which requires iterative computational steps to correctly represent the extent of the elastic-plastic zone formed in the target ahead of the projectile's nose.

Attachment 94236

ETA: in the equations cited above, U is velocity of the projectile's nose at the point of contact with the target and V is the projectile's impact velocity.
    I love this kind of shit. Thanks. I could polish off a big box of Crayolas reading through it. Very entertaining. "elastic-plastic zone, computes the deflection vector, forward portion of the rod bends...." Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I love this kind of shit. Thanks. I could polish off a big box of Crayolas reading through it. Very entertaining. "elastic-plastic zone, computes the deflection vector, forward portion of the rod bends...." Love it!
    Mmm, Mmm, Mmm...Crayola Crayons are my favorite....'specially the ''purpley'' ones.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

You kids are dead after school...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Schwartz could be making all this shit up, and we wouldn't know better. I did ok in algebra, but by the time I figured out what X was, then they slipped a Y in on me.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Schwartz could be making all this shit up, and we wouldn't know better. I did ok in algebra, but by the time I figured out what X was, then they slipped a Y in on me.
    We may never know...

Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-13-2022 at 09:22 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Y'all are going full Good Will Hunting and I'm still sitting here murmuring "inside up, outside down" to try and memorize it.
    An easy visualization that is working for me... what part of the the bullet contacts first? Up, down, left or right? That is the angle of deflection.

Not to be confused with up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start. Totally different.
    Taking a break from social media.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    An easy visualization that is working for me... what part of the the bullet contacts first? Up, down, left or right? That is the angle of deflection.

Not to be confused with up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start. Totally different.
    Hahah hey I get that reference!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I think of it like this...

Shooting from outside in gives a better chance of shooting someone in the dick.

Inside out...a better chance of a head shot.

(Just a gross generalization to remember which is which. Toward the "Sky or Thigh".)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

(Just a gross generalization to remember which is which. Toward the "Sky or Thigh".)
    Either of which should get someone's attention...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Can you draw us a picture?

User Tag List