Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022

I hope no one will remember to tell wsr when I kick the bucket.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Name:  da_queen.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  85.9 KB

lol Italy

Don't know why I feel this way, but to me she exuded class.

All of the rest of them, including the ones next in line, feel like reality TV stars.

As others have said, it feels like what's great about western civilization is dying off.

RIP

In todays modern age and particularly in the west the idea of Royals seems silly sure. But this is a women who put service above self for a very long time. I can't help but appreciate and admire how she comported herself. Easy to say she led a life of privilege and she certainly did. But in many ways she was more prisoner and less free than any of us and her fellow countrymen. Velvet handcuffs are still handcuffs. Lets hope her son was paying attention to her example. God speed and RIP fair lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    In todays modern age and particularly in the west the idea of Royals seems silly sure. But this is a women who put service above self for a very long time. I can't help but appreciate and admire how she comported herself. Easy to say she led a life of privilege and she certainly did. But in many ways she was more prisoner and less free than any of us and her fellow countrymen. Velvet handcuffs are still handcuffs. Lets hope her son was paying attention to her example. God speed and RIP fair lady.
    I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you write, but this is spot on.

We can disagree with the idea of a monarchy while still applauding Queen Elizabeth for the way she executed her stately duties, and also still celebrate her life.

To put it into perspective, my girlfriend is from an area in India with a particularly strong memory of the past; she has a seething hatred for the British. As in, no shit, she will display open hostility in a public setting to Brits regardless of being an extremely quiet, well tempered lady. Even she is saddened to hear about Queen Elizabeth. Understandable, since Queen Elizabeth admitted to the mistreatment that Indians received under British rule, maintained cordial relations with them after independence, even travelled to India for their 50th anniversary of independence.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you write, but this is spot on.

We can disagree with the idea of a monarchy while still applauding Queen Elizabeth for the way she executed her stately duties, and also still celebrate her life.

To put it into perspective, my girlfriend is from an area in India with a particularly strong memory of the past; she has a seething hatred for the British. As in, no shit, she will display open hostility in a public setting to Brits regardless of being an extremely quiet, well tempered lady. Even she is saddened to hear about Queen Elizabeth. Understandable, since Queen Elizabeth admitted to the mistreatment that Indians received under British rule, maintained cordial relations with them after independence, even travelled to India for their 50th anniversary of independence.
    Well said.
    #RESIST

RIP, your Highness. We are all diminished - I doubt we'll see her like again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Ever understood the fascination with the royals, they are the biggest welfare recipients in the world
    I don't know about that, between the income from the crown estates that is folded right back into the budget and the expenditure of the sovereign fund, my extensive five minutes of research indicates that the royal family costs the UK taxpayer roughly 1, maybe 1.5 F35 Lightning II's per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    For the life of me, I don't understand why the Brits don't cut back their monarchy to one more in line with the rest of the European countries that still have royals.
    I've had the same thought before, but I think she had a lot to do with it. I suspect that a movement in that direction is much more likely under Charles, given his less than universal popularity and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    I don't know about that, between the income from the crown estates that is folded right back into the budget and the expenditure of the sovereign fund, my extensive five minutes of research indicates that the royal family costs the UK taxpayer roughly 1, maybe 1.5 F35 Lightning II's per year.
    Oh that’s all lol what a deal

Not a bad price for a family of what amounts to little more than spokespeople

User Tag List