Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New iPhone feature

Do iPhone batteries still roll over and die as soon as temperatures drop below -0°C? I recall poor battery performance in the cold was a problem for some iPhone users at work, but this was several years ago. If battery performance hasn't improved, that would make this new feature, well, let's say of limited use.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That was the only phone I really liked. Okay, I would answer it "Kirk to Enterprise" which aggravated some people.
    I have always been disappointed that when flip phones were a thing, none of the ones I knew of made a sound when you opened it. That and a way to customize the opening sound seems like a pretty big opportunity missed. (And I'm not even a Star Trek fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I would be plenty happy with my old Motorola Star-Tac flip phone.
    My first cell phone! If they make it again the same as it was I'm in

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I have had a Globalstar phone (and a SPOT) for just over 4 years. Mrs. Fatdog insisted I was too old to be wandering "no bars" places like I do without having one. I believe the Iridium network has better coverage but 2X the price or more, and for traveling CONUS I have never been some place where I either did not have a signal or did not get one within 4-5 minutes as the birds pass. That includes some deep canyons in the Rockies. This new connection is a really good new feature for outdoor people and people who travel remote locations, but don't have all the other sat gear.

Historically, Iridium which the Garmin In reach uses, has been better than Globalstar, especially in Alaska, but this could help some people without In reach, sat phones and 406 PLB's to signal for help.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Do iPhone batteries still roll over and die as soon as temperatures drop below -0°C? I recall poor battery performance in the cold was a problem for some iPhone users at work, but this was several years ago.
    When snowmobiling we learned to keep them in a pocket on the inside of the jacket, and to switch off or to airplane mode so it wasn't constantly trying to seek a connection that wasn't there. Otherwise any of the smartphones would be low before the first rest (bar...) stop.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Do iPhone batteries still roll over and die as soon as temperatures drop below -0°C? I recall poor battery performance in the cold was a problem for some iPhone users at work, but this was several years ago. If battery performance hasn't improved, that would make this new feature, well, let's say of limited use
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    When snowmobiling we learned to keep them in a pocket on the inside of the jacket, and to switch off or to airplane mode so it wasn't constantly trying to seek a connection that wasn't there. Otherwise any of the smartphones would be low before the first rest (bar...) stop.
    I use mapping/comm apps in prolonged cold. Inside pocket, enable only critical functions, have a power cell backup if use is important. Condensation/fogging/freeze inside the case can be a bigger issue if you're in and out of a jacket pocket. More recent models/batteries are better, but still vulnerable.

A feature I would like is the ability to set up a profile for a type of use. I.e., cold weather hunt or SAR op, hitting a button and the phone turns on/off the stuff I want. Like the driver1/2/3 function in some cars that set up your seats/mirrors/dashboard.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That was the only phone I really liked. Okay, I would answer it "Kirk to Enterprise" which aggravated some people.

Someone should make a flip top case for Iphones. For, you know, screen protection.
    Bluetooth one.
    --Jason--

User Tag List