Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning up blue loctite residue

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Loctite makes a CA glue, but my understanding is that it's not one of the standard Loctite thread lockers (purple, green, blue red).

But that solvent might work on blue loctite. I have no idea about that.

Thanks to everyone. @LittleLebowski, I went ahead and ordered that stuff. Gonna find some old screws with loctite on them and see how it works on residue fresh and old.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Thanks to everyone. @LittleLebowski, I went ahead and ordered that stuff. Gonna find some old screws with loctite on them and see how it works on residue fresh and old.
    Excellent, let us know how it works.
    #RESIST

At a match once I learned (in hindsight) that I'd used too much Loctite on my ejector rod; it was actually impeding actuation of the cylinder release. You could still do it, but it was slow, and it hurt your thumb. A Master offered me some Tetra gun lubricant, with the direction to apply it liberally and the information that "Tetra eats Loctite." Well, I did, and it did, and within minutes, I was back in business. Ever since then, I say: "Tetra eats Loctite."

Bob Smith Industries BSI-161H UN-CURE Super Glue Debonder

This thread is the best possible argument for using VC-3. That stuff doesn't seem to do anything, so it shouldn't be any problem if it's on the pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Spilled some blue loctite in and around CZ Shadow mag catch area, causing it to cake up in crevices, on the spring etc. Visually not a whole lot but enough to prevent catch from working correctly. I took it all apart and cleaned the best I could with a solvent. Seems ok but maybe few spots are left. Any better options to clean that up?
    Since blue loctite 242 is composed of a dimethacrylate ester, acetone will soften it. Anything composed primarily of acetone should contain enough of it to provide the solvent action needed.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Excellent, let us know how it works.
    It worked well on fresh small slivers of loctite but so did nail polish. Didn't do much for screws with old dried up loctite. At any rate, I cleaned the gun and parts up and all is working well.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Since blue loctite 242 is composed of a dimethacrylate ester, acetone will soften it. Anything composed primarily of acetone should contain enough of it to provide the solvent action needed.
    Yeah, I recently had to remove a muzzle brake that was secured with red loctite. After using high heat to get it to break loose, acetone and a brush quickly took care of all of the remaining residue without any trouble at all.

User Tag List