Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reload practice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Valid point. Lets say an 8" circle at 7 yards.
    How nerdy do you want me to get with the explanation?

Because I can get super nerdy with it.

Ask @Totem Polar

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How nerdy do you want me to get with the explanation?

Because I can get super nerdy with it.

Ask @Totem Polar
    Well, I assumed there would be some very general metrics, similar to draw times. But if you're willing to nerd out, I'm interested in your findings.

ETA: apologies to @CraigS for any thread drift.

Well, I assumed there would be some very general metrics, similar to draw times. But if you're willing to nerd out, I'm interested in your findings.

ETA: apologies to @CraigS for any thread drift.
    Okay. This is my perspective.

There is a LOT of tolerance stacking depending on mag release button spring tension, concealment garments, holsters, slide lock mechanism, magwell.

In my hands, the equipment itself can be 0.5 seconds of difference. Stiff mag release spring requiring more hand shift. Super stiff and positively engaged slide lock that requires a deliberate movement. Not to mention retention and access to the mag itself.

If you watch people slide lock reloading quickly on video, someone with a slide that auto-forwards with bumping in the magazine will have a faster reload than someone who has to crush down to release the slide.

This is the reason why I usually try and establish a base, open holster and mag reload without slide lock at close target FIRST to just isolate those mechanics.

So I’ll usually work 3 yard alphas for draw and reload because you need some vision but you don’t add the extra time of hard focusing stability on a harder target.

So you’ll get a very consistent baseline on the skill itself and then be able to see contribution of equipment and target difficulty.

It’s a very long winded way of saying:

2 second concealed slide lock reload is generally kind of slow.
    1 second concealed slide lock reload is generally very fast.

But everything in between might be excellent or might be meh depending on your equipment and target difficulty.

The better shooter you are, the faster the reload will be… because of the shooting part that follows the physical reload.

So that’s why I work the reload separate from the shooting part to track improvement and progress. That’s kind of the thought process behind the Burkett drill.

If you want to take some of the shooting and aiming out of it completely you can do it blind, too.

Okay. This is my perspective.

There is a LOT of tolerance stacking depending on mag release button spring tension, concealment garments, holsters, slide lock mechanism, magwell.

In my hands, the equipment itself can be 0.5 seconds of difference. Stiff mag release spring requiring more hand shift. Super stiff and positively engaged slide lock that requires a deliberate movement. Not to mention retention and access to the mag itself.

If you watch people slide lock reloading quickly on video, someone with a slide that auto-forwards with bumping in the magazine will have a faster reload than someone who has to crush down to release the slide.

This is the reason why I usually try and establish a base, open holster and mag reload without slide lock at close target FIRST to just isolate those mechanics.

So I’ll usually work 3 yard alphas for draw and reload because you need some vision but you don’t add the extra time of hard focusing stability on a harder target.

So you’ll get a very consistent baseline on the skill itself and then be able to see contribution of equipment and target difficulty.

It’s a very long winded way of saying:

2 second concealed slide lock reload is generally kind of slow.
    1 second concealed slide lock reload is generally very fast.

But everything in between might be excellent or might be meh depending on your equipment and target difficulty.

The better shooter you are, the faster the reload will be… because of the shooting part that follows the physical reload.

So that’s why I work the reload separate from the shooting part to track improvement and progress. That’s kind of the thought process behind the Burkett drill.

If you want to take some of the shooting and aiming out of it completely you can do it blind, too.
    Thanks JCN, that all makes sense. Appreciate your input.

Wow, this is interesting. I had never even thought about timing a reload but it makes sense. For myself, I have cut a couple coils off the mag button spring, ground a nice wide deep channel in the left side grip, and switched to using the slide release lever vs grabbing the slide, pulling and releasing it. I hit the release w/ my weak hand thumb because the edge of the slide likes to grind on my thumb if I use the strong hand. My wife's pistol also got the larger mag release w/ a cut spring. We also tried swapping the mag button to the other side of the gun. That was terrible for both of us. To get a strong hand finger on that button the gun had to be moved around in our hand a LOT more than either of us does w/ it in normal position. Glad it's a 10 minute swap.
    Name:  20190128_084549.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  53.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Wow, this is interesting. I had never even thought about timing a reload but it makes sense. For myself, I have cut a couple coils off the mag button spring, ground a nice wide deep channel in the left side grip, and switched to using the slide release lever vs grabbing the slide, pulling and releasing it. I hit the release w/ my weak hand thumb because the edge of the slide likes to grind on my thumb if I use the strong hand. My wife's pistol also got the larger mag release w/ a cut spring. We also tried swapping the mag button to the other side of the gun. That was terrible for both of us. To get a strong hand finger on that button the gun had to be moved around in our hand a LOT more than either of us does w/ it in normal position. Glad it's a 10 minute swap.
    Name:  20190128_084549.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  53.2 KB
    If you blend the contour of either the slide lever or the notch in the slide it’ll fall off the ledge easier to drop the slide.

It is interesting that you mention that. All the years shooting before I started idpa I always grabbed the back of the slide and did the slingshot deal. Figured that using the release would eventually round over the corner of the lever or the slide. I even read some discussions about is it a slide lock or a slide release? Now, it's more like, if it is faster, do it. If it wears out, fix it or replace it. Of course it helps that this isn't the only gun like it was for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    It is interesting that you mention that. All the years shooting before I started idpa I always grabbed the back of the slide and did the slingshot deal. Figured that using the release would eventually round over the corner of the lever or the slide. I even read some discussions about is it a slide lock or a slide release? Now, it's more like, if it is faster, do it. If it wears out, fix it or replace it. Of course it helps that this isn't the only gun like it was for many years.
    The way I see it, is if a gun breaks in that way, why not make it the way I want it sooner?

I usually take part off the slide notch and part off the lever, because I can replace the lever when it wears too much and then I’m still close to where I want it.

Used this technique at the range yesterday. Way better than having to pick up my mags off the deck.

Used this technique at the range yesterday. Way better than having to pick up my mags off the deck.
    I’m all about the “work smarter.”

People can spend 20 minutes practicing and get not much done.

Or spend 20 minute and get a shit ton done.

The more efficient you are, the more life you get to live!

User Tag List