Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

Ford F-150 Lightning

This truck is a game changer. I’m in.

Tried to post about it here. Devolved into battery argument between fanboys and haters.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1223116

ETA:
    600 HP, mid-4-second 0-60, 300 mile range, starting at $40k, and a frunk!

IDK how they’re going to be able to hold that $40k line. And I’m really curious to see what that $40k model comes with, or if it meets the performance criteria above. Tesla advertises mall of their models with the lowest price, longest range, and lowest 0-60 but when you go to buy one there’s no single trial that offers all of those specs.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IDK how they’re going to be able to hold that $40k line.
    It sure seems to me like it should be much simpler and consequently cheaper to build an electric vehicle, they leave out an awful lot of very complex components. An AWD electric vehicle with four electric motors probably has fewer moving parts than one of the four cam chains in my truck.

Right now they are perceived as high end luxury, but why should they cost much?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It sure seems to me like it should be much simpler and consequently cheaper to build an electric vehicle, they leave out an awful lot of very complex components. An AWD electric vehicle with four electric motors probably has fewer moving parts than one of the four cam chains in my truck.

Right now they are perceived as high end luxury, but why should they cost much?
    IDK other than “the other ones do?” I can’t imagine Rivian or Hummer are just pocketing $30-40k on profits, or for that matter adding the same amount in amenities.

Even just from a material volume standpoint, the cheapest Tesla is ~$40k, no? And there’s more metal and plastic and rubber in a truck than a compact car.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

IDK other than “the other ones do?” I can’t imagine Rivian or Hummer are just pocketing $30-40k on profits, or for that matter adding the same amount in amenities.

Even just from a material volume standpoint, the cheapest Tesla is ~$40k, no? And there’s more metal and plastic and rubber in a truck than a compact car.
    A lot of car pricing is what the consumer will pay.

I work for a car company. The difference in cost to manufacture one of our subcompact cars and one of our flagship grocery-hauler SUVs isn't nearly as big as the difference in sale price.

I don't have any insight into what makes EVs more expensive though. If it's material cost, it's probably the battery.

IDK other than “the other ones do?”
    Even just from a material volume standpoint, the cheapest Tesla is ~$40k, no?
    I think Teslas cost a lot because they had to build a car company before they could build a car, and because they can.

I think Ford is going to give them their first real test, and the Lightning might be a good example. An F-150 is built on infrastructure that is well funded by already selling 900k of them every year. So without much extra investment they can they take a few of them and replace the incredibly complex IC engine, transmission and driveline that distributed that centralized power with 2-4 simple electric motors. Then stuff batteries in where all the omitted stuff used to be, and force all your stores to bolt charging stations to their buildings. They can do this without building a new roof (unless they start making their own batteries) and sell them for what the market will bear. Base price of an F-150 is $28k, so making a simpler one for $40k seems to be within reach.

If the entry price really can be just at 40,000, that is unbelievably approachable for many prospective purchasers; and faster than a raptor?

The functionality of the “frunk” also puts a pick up truck in play for many suburbanites where before that exposed bed was perceived as a challenge unless one got a cab top or tonneau cover, etc. Now you can have the best of both worlds. Stick luggage, perishables, etc. in the “frunk” and leave the bed open for sheet rock, duck decoys, mulch, etc. I think this will also attract an incredible number of first-time truck buyers simply for it’s practicality, price point, And the perception that it is environmentally friendly.

Oh....and “frunk” is the best neologism/portmanteau I’ve heard in awhile!

Does the Lightning have artificial V8 sound? I have an F150 with the V8, and I have to admit, I like the sound of that engine.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    If the entry price really can be just at 40,000, that is unbelievably approachable for many prospective purchasers; and faster than a raptor?

The functionality of the “frunk” also puts a pick up truck in play for many suburbanites where before that exposed bed was perceived as a challenge unless one got a cab top or tonneau cover, etc. Now you can have the best of both worlds. Stick luggage, perishables, etc. in the “frunk” and leave the bed open for sheet rock, duck decoys, mulch, etc. I think this will also attract an incredible number of first-time truck buyers simply for it’s practicality, price point, And the perception that it is environmentally friendly.

Oh....and “frunk” is the best neologism/portmanteau I’ve heard in awhile!
    one of my corporate friends that's trying to make his way into sales is excited he can keep his golf clubs in it and always available.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think Teslas cost a lot because they had to build a car company before they could build a car, and because they can.

I think Ford is going to give them their first real test, and the Lightning might be a good example. An F-150 is built on infrastructure that is well funded by already selling 900k of them every year. So without much extra investment they can they take a few of them and replace the incredibly complex IC engine, transmission and driveline that distributed that centralized power with 2-4 simple electric motors. Then stuff batteries in where all the omitted stuff used to be, and force all your stores to bolt charging stations to their buildings. They can do this without building a new roof (unless they start making their own batteries) and sell them for what the market will bear. Base price of an F-150 is $28k, so making a simpler one for $40k seems to be within reach.
    I hope you're right.

It will be interesting to see if they can sell any XL-trim "Lightnings".

User Tag List