Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It could indeed be a training issue in those police videos, or as Mr. Haggard pointed out before, the fact that autoloaders in a holster for months on your hip dry out and get full of lint/debris unless cleaned and lubed every couple of weeks or so.
    I believe the phrase I've heard used on the P&S Modcasts is: revolvers are more tolerant of neglect than a semi-auto.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Y’all must have some linty-ass pockets. My p380 has been pocketed for 3 months, and I inspected it just now. There was a small amount of dust in a few external areas, but the action was clean, still lubed (Lucas oil), and smooth.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm going to post a paraphrase (still has the basic facts) of a Border Patrol test that I believe was done in the early 80s with the Ruger Security Six that I thought was interesting:

Testing consisted of 10,000 rounds of 158gr. 357 Magnum ammo all one lot number. The S&Ws were beyond rebuild at 1500 rounds as they would not time up correctly double action. The Rugers went 10,000 rounds and the Border Patrol bought 5000 of Security Sixes with round butts.

I had found the original document of the test a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find it now. They had tested a bunch of Security Sixes against S&W M66s and came up with the above results.
    K-frames weren't designed to handle .357 they forced into it, they are easy to kill on that steady diet.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    K-frames weren't designed to handle .357 they forced into it, they are easy to kill on that steady diet.
    True, I wonder how a present-day 686 would do vs a present-day Ruger GP100 if both had 10k rounds of magnums put through them.

Site Supporter
    I field stripped and lubed my P365 earlier this evening. The only lint I found was in the trigger area. Well-designed pistols are generally good at keeping lint out of the internals. This was after multiple months of daily carry, mostly in a pocket holster.

My Glock 26 and North American Arms Guardian .380 are also very well designed to keep lint out of the internals.

As much as I like Kel-Tec .32 and .380 pistols, they are lint magnets. They should definitely be field stripped, cleaned, and re-lubed every couple of weeks.

True, I wonder how a present-day 686 would do vs a present-day Ruger GP100 if both had 10k rounds of magnums put through them.
    Same thing as the 66 vs SS
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter
    On revolver malfunctions:

https://revolverguy.com/backed-out-e...d-malfunction/

My 442 did this all the. I traded it for a 642. None of my other SWs had the problem. I always wondered why this was the design. Rugers don't do that, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    On revolver malfunctions:

https://revolverguy.com/backed-out-e...d-malfunction/

My 442 did this all the. I traded it for a 642. None of my other SWs had the problem. I always wondered why this was the design. Rugers don't do that, it seems.
    It's very much an S&W thing. Never seen it happen in a Colt, Roger, Charter, Taurus, Yada. It also seems hit and miss across individual examples across all generations of S&W. No idea why. Insufficient torque, loose tolerance, other???
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Y’all must have some linty-ass pockets. My p380 has been pocketed for 3 months, and I inspected it just now. There was a small amount of dust in a few external areas, but the action was clean, still lubed (Lucas oil), and smooth.
    This!
    You lint people don't wash your pants?
    Don't turn the pockets out daily?

I looked at my G43 just now. It has 2 months of pocket carry and it.s clean and slick just like Mr. Clusterfracks is.
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 09-16-2022 at 10:34 AM.

I will take the 442 with a full firing grip while in my pocket any day over just about anything.

It has worked for years and thousands of rounds, both standard velocity and +P.

Some time ago I broke a firing pin on this gun, and S&W was going to repair it for free, but since it was my BUG I asked them to send me out the firing pin and I replaced it myself.

It was back in action in no time and has been G2G ever since.

I do not consider the 442 or any pocket gun to be a primary outside of some sort of compromising situation, but for those times when nothing else works, they are truly excellent, and a 148 full wadcutter at 820 FPS from a J Frame is a very deep penetrating load.

While not pleasant to shoot, when using the mods I use for the grips, I am able to do some decent work with them.

User Tag List