Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I carry a mid or full size pistol every day IWB. However, sometimes when taking the dog out at night I wish I had something I could just throw in a pocket holster in my stretchy shorts (no belt) and head out, or take out the trash, get mail, etc...
    While my next purchase will be primarily for that purpose, I'd also like for it to double as a BUG to my primary. I used to carry a G26 in the pocket, but the weight of it loaded is more of an issue than the size (though granted, it is chunky).

I always had a S&W 642 Airweight fingered as what I'd go with, primarily going off of @DocGKR 's BUG article, but this isn't just a BUG. It will also be primary for short periods in the scenarios listed above, and perhaps NPEs. I know this is the Semi-Auto forum, but being as it's this or a revolver, for my intended purpose, I figured it'd be okay.

Seems like most these days gravitate toward pistols like the P365, Hellcat, G43, and other so-called micro-9's with higher capacities than seen in previous years. After getting burned by Sig pistols several times over a period of 12 years, I'm hesitant to trust a P365. Also have been less than impressed with HS Produkt pistols, although the Hellcat does shoot very well.

Are we in an era of micro 9s where it makes more sense to go with one of those for pocket carry instead of the old standby: the J frame .38? Previously tiny pistols have had a reputation for spotty reliability, or anemic power. Now we have an array of quite capable 10+ round micro 9mm's in a size unimaginable just a decade ago. Just looking to get thoughts and how many of you have tackled this niche of a pocket pistol that needs to be light enough for no-belt pocket carry.
    Id get a fanny pack and carry a capable gun. I just bought the Hill people gear Snubby medium, it would easily hold a Glock 19, and Im waiting for the small to get back in stock. On top of a gun theres plenty of room in the medium for a phone pepper spray and a flashlight.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I had a 940 and it wasn’t much fun to shoot. I can’t imagine that an airweight 9mm would be pleasant.
    Me too. I also had some issues with ejecting cases and moon clips (can't recall the ammo now). I'll stick with .38s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Name:  IMG_0178.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  64.6 KB

Learned not to carry these because of pocket fuzz and lint. Rohrbaugh 9mm.

Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  58.9 KB

Carry these everyday. S&W 340PDs
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Id get a fanny pack and carry a capable gun. I just bought the Hill people gear Snubby medium, it would easily hold a Glock 19, and Im waiting for the small to get back in stock. On top of a gun theres plenty of room in the medium for a phone pepper spray and a flashlight.
    Here is a capable gun (G26) in a fanny pack.
    Works well to just throw it on wearing just about anything. Belt or no belt.

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0528.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  44.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It appears to be an artifact of the gun not being manipulated or lubed for a period of time. One of my friends noted that if he went more than two weeks without getting rid of the pocket dsut and lubing the gun that he'd regularly get the one round and a stove pipe effect
    Can -- or do -- malfunctions happen to revolvers that are carried for long periods of time without being manipulated/cleaned/lubed? For instance, a J frame in a pocket holster for months where pocket lint is even more prevalent than IWB carry.

Site Supporter
    I wipe out my 442 every Sunday with Sentry products “Marine Tuiff Glide” to prevent rust and keep the dust/lint balls away. One spray bottle has lasted for a very long time.

https://sentrytactical.com/sentry-so...-spray-bottle/
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I wipe out my 442 every Sunday with Sentry products “Marine Tuiff Glide” to prevent rust and keep the dust/lint balls away. One spray bottle has lasted for a very long time.

https://sentrytactical.com/sentry-so...-spray-bottle/
    How deep do you go with wiping it out? Do you remove the sideplate or anything?

I've got a 642 on the way

Site Supporter
    Exterior, cylinder/chambers, barrel.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    When a revolver malfunctions, it is usually something breaking, and not something that will be remedied by anything less than a trip to a gunsmith or back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When a revolver malfunctions, it is usually something breaking, and not something that will be remedied by anything less than a trip to a gunsmith or back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An empty piece of brass caught under the extractor will gum up the works.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

User Tag List