Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have an LCR9 in my pocket now, thanks to this thread. I figured I'd give it another try. The shorts I'm wearing have pockets that are a perfect fit for the snubby.
    Snubs are sort of like herpes. Once you get them, they never go away. You might have a period of time without them...but they always come back...

ETA: Anyone running a .22 Snub, I encourage folks to try out some match grade ammo from Lapua, SK, Eley, or RWS. Far more consistent rim thickness in Olympic Match grade ammo. You can consistently get Match ammo from Champion's Choice or Graf's.

A S&W 642 replaced my model 38 that had been with me a couple of decades. The Aholster is a significant upgrade to the olde nameless leather item that I carried the 38 in. It's on me anytime the work gun isn't. The only variation to that would be for long trips where the X9s rides in a Exodus holster that was made for my PPS.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I ordered a 642 no-lock after input from this thread, its SME's such as Mr. Haggard, and my own assessments of my personal needs, that have lead me to this conclusion. When I don't feel like strapping on a Glock/Beretta/H&K, I'll simply put my 642 loaded with Federal 148gr wadcutters in a pocket holster in the pocket of my non-belt shorts. I've got some Federal American Eagle 158gr LRN to practice with and will report back with my results. Mostly, this is something I will own to take my dog for a walk out at night in my shorts or going to check the mail. I'll plan to carry it in my right pocket as a complement to my auto in all other situations as well.

Thanks PF, what a great thread full of good advice from both sides.

I come down on the J Frame/small revolver side. Mainly because low drama and high safety factor with long DA trigger. Ability to carry in pants pocket, jacket pocket, appendix, and belt. And, can’t help but get a workable grip on the gun on the draw from any carry position.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Snubs are sort of like herpes. Once you get them, they never go away. You might have a period of time without them...but they always come back...
    Yuckkkk! You're a terrible snubby salesman. I'm not keister carrying after all.

I have my p380 in the pocket now, and it's way better for comfort and concealment. Tradeoffs...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yuckkkk! You're a terrible snubby salesman. I'm not keister carrying after all.

I have my p380 in the pocket now, and it's way better for comfort and concealment. Tradeoffs...
    Just embrace it and get a prescription...it'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    They talk about "get out of trouble" guns.

My choice for "get out of trouble" pocket carry has become the S&W 43c with Crimson Trace 405 grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    This is an interesting concept. I think it's fair to say the snubby revolver excels at the arms-reach-or-less "get off me" desperation role.

The goal is just to break contact and create distance in order to avoid grave injury or death.
    Over the past few months the P&S guys have sold me on the merits of the “get out of trouble” gun.

Is there anything to suggest a .22 Magnum snub is any better or worse than LR? I’m thinking along the lines of the idea that a .357 snub is a .38+P attached to a flash-bang.

I know the muzzle blast of the 4” or 4.5” Automag II I had for a short while a long time ago was…impressive.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Over the past few months the P&S guys have sold me on the merits of the “get out of trouble” gun.

Is there anything to suggest a .22 Magnum snub is any better or worse than LR? I’m thinking along the lines of the idea that a .357 snub is a .38+P attached to a flash-bang.

I know the muzzle blast of the 4” or 4.5” Automag II I had for a short while a long time ago was…impressive.
    I would be way out of my lane to talk ballistics but something well within my lane is being cheap... 22LR is extremely cheap and plentiful. I have a 43c set up that I shoot for poops and a chuckle a lot because it is cheap to shoot and fun. Depending on how much you shoot you can pay for a 22LR to play with from the cost difference in shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

WMR seems to get a couple more inches of penetration with at least the potential for bullet upset(for some tissue cutting) vs Long Rifle out of equally short barrels.

This is all in Clear Ballistics gel, though.

The extra flash and bang and peppering with unspent powder might add to the FIBSA!(Fuck I'm being Shot at!)effect.

The ammo is about thrice what LR is or roughly what bulk 9mm goes for.

I'm considering an LCR in this caliber myself due to arthritis hand pain and the utter lack of desire to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I would be way out of my lane to talk ballistics but something well within my lane is being cheap... 22LR is extremely cheap and plentiful. I have a 43c set up that I shoot for poops and a chuckle a lot because it is cheap to shoot and fun. Depending on how much you shoot you can pay for a 22LR to play with from the cost difference in shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    WMR seems to get a couple more inches of penetration with at least the potential for bullet upset(for some tissue cutting) vs Long Rifle out of equally short barrels.

This is all in Clear Ballistics gel, though.

The extra flash and bang and peppering with unspent powder might add to the FIBSA!(Fuck I'm being Shot at!)effect.

The ammo is about thrice what LR is or roughly what bulk 9mm goes for.

I'm considering an LCR in this caliber myself due to arthritis hand pain and the utter lack of desire to reload.
    I'm familiar with the cost difference between LR and Mag. It's one one reason my cheap ass frugal self has a passel of LR pistols and revolvers and zero .22 Mags. To me that sounds like a good reason to have a LR for training and a Mag to carry.

Not sure I can pocket an LCR unless the .22s are smaller than the .38s...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List