Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    ...when coppers carried wheel guns and men did not wear dresses, during qual day, guys would often stop part way through a training and break out a toothbrush and give their guns a real good once over before continuing on.
    Obviously, so they wouldn't be kilt on da streets.

(I actually remember those days. I don't think I carried an issued semi-auto until 1988.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Any particular load or brand of. 357? I think I've had it happen once ever. Wondering if there's a pattern. In .357 I'm usually using jacketed 158 grain or sometimes 180 grain hard cast.
    I always use jacketed 158 grain but brands vary. Last session was Precision One and Norma. I started with the Norma and didn't have a problem. When I started trying to use up the Precision One, it happened. I honestly don't like the Precision One much -- it's not accurate in my gun.

Previous brands I've used included Fiocchi, Aguila, PMC, Prvi, and there was probably some Magtech in there. I'm going to start doing a better job of tracking it against ammo brands. Some of those brands have reputations for being rather dirty.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-16-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Do you think this could have anything to do with the ammunition being used, as it could with autoloader functioning? As in, when you're shooting magnums when this stoppage happens what are you using? Surely this doesn't happen with each cylinder, correct? If so, how many rounds does it take to experience this?

Sorry, I'm trying to learn more about this, and I know this is a semi-auto forum. If this should be moved or locked I understand.
    I strongly suspect the brand of ammo is a factor. With availability issues, I have had to use ammo brands I would have passed on five years ago.

It doesn't happen with each cylinder. It's irregular. I've had it happen on the first reload and I've gone several cylinders with no problem.

I'm usually pretty logical/linear about troubleshooting but this is not a regular carry gun for me so I haven't gotten too serious about figuring it out. If I was depending on it, I'd be tracking round counts, brands, reload cycles that session, and how I was reloading in a spreadsheet until I found the pattern.

Right now, my best guess is "lots of unburnt powder flying out of cheap ammo".

I did find getting the ejector rod totally dry reduced the incidents noticeably. Lube on that part seems to be a crud retainer.
    Last edited by Edster; 09-16-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Obviously, so they wouldn't be kilt on da streets.

(I actually remember those days. I don't think I carried an issued semi-auto until 1988.)
    1977 to 1989 with a Revolver. switched to a Smith 6906 for my first issued semi auto.

Regarding the original post. As much as I liked a 642 in a pocket, I go with a 365 now.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    1977 to 1989 with a Revolver. switched to a Smith 6906 for my first issued semi auto.

Regarding the original post. As much as I liked a 642 in a pocket, I go with a 365 now.
    @MDFA

I believe, as best I can recall, that the S&W 6946 was our first issued semi-auto. (But we could carry anything over .380 that was personally owned as long as we qualified with it quarterly. That policy would change several years later. )

1977 was my EOD for gov't service.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    @Outpost75 is very knowledgeable on this test and has the original data.
    I would love to hear more on this from him. Hopefully he will make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I strongly suspect the brand of ammo is a factor. With availability issues, I have had to use ammo brands I would have passed on five years ago.

It doesn't happen with each cylinder. It's irregular. I've had it happen on the first reload and I've gone several cylinders with no problem.

I'm usually pretty logical/linear about troubleshooting but this is not a regular carry gun for me so I haven't gotten too serious about figuring it out. If I was depending on it, I'd be tracking round counts, brands, reload cycles that session, and how I was reloading in a spreadsheet until I found the pattern.

Right now, my best guess is "lots of unburnt powder flying out of cheap ammo".

I did find getting the ejector rod totally dry reduced the incidents noticeably. Lube on that part seems to be a crud retainer.
    Could it also have to do with soft unjacketed lead bullets? Those are pretty dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Could it also have to do with soft unjacketed lead bullets? Those are pretty dirty.
    Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm Supply used to offer the +P Powder Eater modification to the ejection star. It was basically relief grooves cut underneath the star.
    Ayoob used Devoid a lot back in the day. I'm sure any smith could duplicate it. Devoid still shows it on his website for 75.00.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

They still make some sense if one needs the absolute smallest, lightest gun available.

Other than as a snake dispatcher, do you feel like they actually have a reasonable use that a Spyderco Delica can't cover and more? Curious, because that's how I always thought of them.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Anyone else here think that a modern, alloy reintroduction of the i-frame, with decent sights, in .22LR would be cool for pocket use?

A 6-shot centennial i-frame .22 LR with a decent front sight that weighed, say, 12-13 oz using affordable 642 metallurgy would get my tail wagging.

j vs i:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List