Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up blue loctite residue

Cleaning up blue loctite residue

Spilled some blue loctite in and around CZ Shadow mag catch area, causing it to cake up in crevices, on the spring etc. Visually not a whole lot but enough to prevent catch from working correctly. I took it all apart and cleaned the best I could with a solvent. Seems ok but maybe few spots are left. Any better options to clean that up?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Pics?
    #RESIST

Will do when I get home.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

As it's described on one of the Loctite web sites "By its nature, the product is difficult to remove." Helpful . . .

I'd try various solvents, e.g., acetone, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner. One might work better than another. All are pretty nasty stuff, so avoid getting it on skin, breathing it, etc. to the extent possible. After soaking, maybe try scrubbing the covered area with a small brass brush or brass dental pick. Don't use any of those around "plastics" unless you're sure the material ("plastic" pistol frames) is solvent resistant.

Heat will break parts (e.g., 1911 grip screws and bushings) held with Loctite loose, but really doesn't remove the Loctite magically, and you wouldn't want to try it on a small spring anyway.

Dare I mention using a Dremel with a "softish" brush on it? Not sure what surface finish you're working on, but it's easy to "polish" surfaces and remove finishes.

Patience helps. Don't ask why I know.

Whatever liquid you decide to try, keep in mind how it might affect the firearms finish.

It's always come off for me (whether I wanted it to or not) with a q-tip dipped in some Hoppes?

Oil of wintergreen is a surprisingly good penetrating oil and solvent.
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Loctite is basically CA adhesive.

https://www.permabond.com/wp-content...ent100_TDS.pdf
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Going off of that and doing a quick Amazon search, I have found what @YVK seeks. This: https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-cit...dp/B076B2QRYW/

Relevant text from what OlongJohnson posted:

Permabond CA Solvent 100 is extremely
    effective for dissolving cyanoacrylate bonds or
    removing cured excess adhesive.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Do you have a heat gun or a hair dryer? That works pretty good at melting excess goo out of various crevices. Just be careful with an actual heat gun because that can get polymers to a melting point quicker than you might realize.

Generally when I need to remove excess thread locker I try to get the part separated from the gun and hit it with just enough heat to get the stuff gooey and then go after it with a brush or compressed air as quickly as possible.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List