Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Felons Killed by Citizens than by Police- FBI

One of the problems when looking at the data on police shootings is that there is no good way to gather it. Some gets reported to the FBI or the BJS, but not all. It’s not a requirement to report the data. One of the better resources I’ve found when looking for data is this page:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ings-database/

The data the WP gathered clearly contradicts the FBI UCR. So who do we believe?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    One of the problems when looking at the data on police shootings is that there is no good way to gather it. Some gets reported to the FBI or the BJS, but not all. It’s not a requirement to report the data. One of the better resources I’ve found when looking for data is this page:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ings-database/

The data the WP gathered clearly contradicts the FBI UCR. So who do we believe?
    What I find interesting about that WaPo link is this part, surprised they admitted it.

Despite the unpredictable events that lead to fatal shootings, police nationwide have shot and killed almost the same number of people annually — nearly 1,000 — since The Post began its project.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Not sure if that's a good thing (more armed Samaritans) or bad thing (defunded police)...
    The assumption it is "Samaritans" is fatally flawed. The vast majority of self-defense shootings are criminals vs criminals. Drug dealers and gang members do not lose the right to self-defense and they tend to be armed more often than truly random victims. Domestic squabbles/lover's triangles are also a fairly big chunk, where the fuck-around-and-find-out champion gets the girl and the other guy gets a box. Some of those are pretty iffy self-defense claims, but my state is pretty liberal in that regard.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Those FBI numbers don't come close to adding up. ~22k homicides in the US in 2020, about 60% of them were shootings - so only about 2.5% of total shooting homicides were in self-defense?

If that is true there are serious problems in the US.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    From my anecdotal experiences, I also believe most people who have a CCW don’t carry regularly. They seem to want the license for other reasons such as keeping a gun in their car while they drive around or because it might streamline the purchasing of new firearms in their state by letting them skip a new background check.
    In CT, almost everyone who wants to legally buy a handgun or go target shooting with one has a CCW. A local range won't allow anyone to shoot there without one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Those FBI numbers don't come close to adding up. ~22k homicides in the US in 2020, about 60% of them were shootings - so only about 2.5% of total shooting homicides were in self-defense?

That’s one of the problems with our system of government - there’s no mandatory national system of reporting. Hell, there isn’t a statewide mandatory reporting system in a lot of states. In Ohio, it’s not mandatory but not reporting the info disqualifies a .gov entity from getting grant funding. Only about 80% of LE agencies report info to the state, who in turn, reports it to the feds.

https://dpsoibrspext.azurewebsites.net/Home/FAQ
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

If you count officer involved shootings seperately, but include both self-defense and defense of others as the came category for the general citizenry, our percentage is very close to 2.5%. If you include officer involved shootings, it's closer to 5%.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you count officer involved shootings seperately, but include both self-defense and defense of others as the came category for the general citizenry, our percentage is very close to 2.5%. If you include officer involved shootings, it's closer to 5%.
    So, if I’m reading you right, 95% of homicide shootings in the U.S. are criminal acts (that is, not police or citizen self defense)?
    Wow- I realized that there was lots of firearm killing, but I guess I imagined somewhat more self defense (justifiable homicide).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So, if I’m reading you right, 95% of homicide shootings in the U.S. are criminal acts (that is, not police or citizen self defense)?
    Wow- I realized that there was lots of firearm killing, but I guess I imagined somewhat more self defense (justifiable homicide).
    In Birmingham we’ve had 92 shooting deaths this year. 6 were self defense and one of those was a police shooting, so we’re at 6.5% of shooting deaths being justified, but that number drops if you account for all the murders in the county. One interesting thing I read in a news article the other day is that we’ve had a larger percentage of folks killed outright vs wounded this year, I’ll have to look it up to find the exact number though.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    With the caveat justified homicide also includes defense of others and preventing certain felonies...roughly, yes. Of course years and places vary, and I'm only saying where we are for the year right now. I'm sure there's some small town out there rocking a 100% justified rate on their 1 fatal shooting in the past 15 years.

I would point out that I am in a pro-gun state with a long history of "shall issue" and is now "constituational carry" and with a legal climate that is very self-defense claim friendly. To the point you are largely shielded from civil liability in such events. And that's the numbers we are currently at. I've little doubt that numbers would be somewhat lower in areas less conducive to the carry of guns. Yes, criminals carry guns anyway and criminals are often the 'defender' but if you can't carry it legally it's more likely to be hidden and slow to reach if you need it on the defense without time to prep. Add in the reduced numbers of good guys with guns, and I would not be surprised in the least if there are major cities with much lower percentages than ours.

User Tag List