Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger SFAR (Small frame AR in .308)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Like what I'm seeing, but like you, durability on siilar sized bolt in 7.62 concerns me.
    Durability, or lack thereof, of the bolt is the first thing I thought of when I saw this. I wonder how many rounds Ruger put their test rifles through. 10/22's aside, when one says "Ruger," "high volume shooter" is not a phrase that comes quickly to mind. Regardless, I hope this turns out to be a great rifle. I'd love one in 6mm Creedmoor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    With the splitting up of Remington Arms, I have to wonder if this is based, at least loosely, on the DPMS G2. Ruger may have even hired some of Remington's engineers.

At one point, Remington submitted an upgraded version of the G2 for some military trials. I had always wondered how it did, and if they would offer it commercially. That was before the bankruptcy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The R10 was allegedly procured by the FBI and DEA for DMR use, which I guess it kinda close to the CSASS's proposed role that they didn't win for the Army trials. Haven't heard much about how the R10s performed.
    Some were procured by both agencies. They were intended for DMR and / or "Heavy carbine" use.

However, shortly after the initial procurement some issues were identified and the guns were recalled. Our local DEA office still had a few of them as of a couple years ago.

It's worth noting that until the bankruptcy, there was a significant difference between Remington Defense and "Fudd" Remington / DPMS et al both as a company and in the quality of their products.

From an older thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rame-308/page2

Around 2016/17 FBI and DEA jointly tested small frame AR-10s in 308. My understanding on the was they were to supplement some existing full-size AR 10 for use in remote/rural areas.

A Remington Defense variant of the DPMSG2 rifle was selected, They were also supposed to be made available for individual agent purchase. Long story short after successfully passing testing the initial production guns had issues, and were recalled. A coworker had one on order for 18 months and finally gave up and bought a POF 308. Remington subsequently collapsed and dissolved.

Co-worker threw a 1-8 VCOG on the small frame POF and has been quite happy with it.

Last edited by HCM; 09-07-2022 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On GunBroker for buy now of $999.
    To put this in perspective, this is a similar cost to a Colt 6920.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...teer-x-rifles/

Never late to the party, S&W introduces a new model M&P10, with an empty weight around 9 pounds. Maybe they got confused between the number 6 and 9.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

9 is 6, upside down. LOL.

Site Supporter
    The newer M&P 10's sure look like they have a thicker barrel profile than the one I've had since 2013. Much less taper.

Mine's pretty light. I think they were originally marketed as being under 8 pounds.

Changing the cudgel of a muzzle brake/flashhider probably drops 2 pounds.

Here is a pic I found off the internet from this 2015 article. https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...esson-m-p10-1/

Name:  mp10h.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  17.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How different is this from the time DPMS did it?
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    With the splitting up of Remington Arms, I have to wonder if this is based, at least loosely, on the DPMS G2. Ruger may have even hired some of Remington's engineers.

At one point, Remington submitted an upgraded version of the G2 for some military trials. I had always wondered how it did, and if they would offer it commercially. That was before the bankruptcy...
    No. From everything I have seen, this is basically a copy of the POF Revolution/Rogue. The Revolution uses literal AR-15 sized receivers, with an AR-15 sized bolt carrier. The DPMS G2 is basically half the weight/length difference of the Revolution vs a Large Frame AR10.

This is literally about the same weight as an AR15 before you add the mag.

Personally I have been hugely interested in small frame AR10's for years but have yet to pull the trigger. The POF rogue has looked like the best option but the occasional nightmare story about their QC/CS has gotten me to stay away. I think theres a very high chance I will end up with one of these. On paper it checks off all the boxes and yet is $500 less than a Rogue.

Really hoping someone reputable gets one of these and runs the shit out of it so we can see if it really is as durable as a large frame AR10. I do like all the emergency venting holes that Ruger added in case of a kaboom. Also, the POF gets by with an AR15 sized bolt carrier because they use some kind of super duper alloy. Is Ruger using some other proprietary alloy, and if not what have they done to increase the strength of the BCG?

In the video in the first post, Ruger says they use a high nickel alloy in the bolt and barrel extension for added strength.

I've always heard Ruger's secret weapon in making 6 shot .454 revolvers was the Carpenter 158 steel used for the cylinder. Since they already have an "in" with Carpenter, I wonder if they were involved with whatever this wonder alloy for the bolt and extension might be?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...teer-x-rifles/

Never late to the party, S&W introduces a new model M&P10, with an empty weight around 9 pounds. Maybe they got confused between the number 6 and 9.
    And STILL comes with a non-free-floating forearm. WTaF, S&W?

User Tag List