Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger SFAR (Small frame AR in .308)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So there's no free lunch. I assume a sub-8 pound 308 will kick like a sub-8 pound 308. Not that it will necessarily be unpleasant but it no doubt won't handle like a 223, either. That's a guess since I haven't fired the SFAR yet.

Externally the gun is very familiar. Effort needed to work the charging handle is more but otherwise everything feels correct. Distance to selector, bolt catch, mag release all feel right. The distance the charging handle travels also feels right. Most 308 pattern guns are sort of "off" with everything kind of being 5% or 10% out of whack. Not so here.

Balance is good. But that's naked and empty. I assume 20 rounds of 168 BTHP will offset the general AR15 feel. But it still should feel more or less correct.

The bolt and barrel extension is where the "magic" happens. Ruger claims to be using some kind of hot rod material in these parts. Lug geometry is also supposed to be improved. Too bad the Armalite crew didn't have modern stress analysis tools.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the bolt and carrier.

My opinion may change after I actually shoot this thing but presently I think it is one of the coolest things Ruger has done in a long time. Something like this in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Proof barrel would be pretty much as modern as the modern sporting rifle can get.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I also think it's a super cool gun, and I'd love to hear what you think of the recoil. My thought was always "Is a .308 that light a good idea?" but you could always add a crazy fuck off brake.

I didn't find the recoil bad at all. I shot it off the bench and in field positions. The muzzle brake is very effective, but extremely loud (to be expected). 60 rounds total for the the hour range session and no discomfort. If the long term reliability is there (so far 100%), then Ruger will have a real winner with this one. Next time out I will run it with my can on it and compare. Also curious to run some 308 subsonics through it with the gas system turned off. May make my subsonic setup Ruger American 300 BO obsolete if the results are positive.

Any reports on accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Any reports on accuracy?
    .442" 3 shot group at 100 yards with Hornady 168gr. TAP. Armscorp 147gr. FMJ averaged 1.38" groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Any reports on accuracy?
    Shot 20 rounds of LC13 head stamp ball through mine yesterday. At 50 yards I'd say groups were running about an inch and a half. Not very impressive. But my scope should be more of less dialed in and ready for better ammo.

Site Supporter
    It appears that I may be able to get one of these for a "high 3-figure" price via an FFL acquaintance, which means my only point of resistance at this moment is waiting for more reviews.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It appears that I may be able to get one of these for a "high 3-figure" price via an FFL acquaintance, which means my only point of resistance at this moment is waiting for more reviews.

Chris
    Join us. Help get the reviews out.

Early adopters. Go to the range dudes. I've chased the lightweight AR10 for far too long to jump in without more data just yet. I'm curious.
    My apologies to weasels.

Those that have them impressed enough to recommend? I'm interested in an AR10 platform and have been looking at the M&P but if this wrings out. Wife wants something light for hunting and I just want one for deer hunting lighter than my PTR and not 300 Win Mag. Being a lefty and intimately familiar with M16/AR15's this makes a lot of sense if it works.

We got in one of these at the shop I work at. No shooting experience, of course, but first impressions are that it handles very well, pretty much just like a normal AR15. I did notice that the gas block is secured with set screws rather than drilled and pinned, something I'm normally a stickler on. Wonder how that translates in a very lightweight .308 gas gun.

User Tag List