Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SFAR (Small frame AR in .308)

American Rifleman did a review: https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...-ruger-s-sfar/

They talk, briefly, about the dimensional changes, etc.

Ok I picked up the 20" barrel SFAR today. Think I made the right choice for my intended purpose. First impressions mint build quality and the trigger is very nice. I'm going to mount a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 scope I took off of my PTR 91 but looks like I am going to need new mounting rings with a rear to front offset/cant. Level mount I can't see the sight picture. May get offset irons as a back up as well. If this proves reliable may be the best $1000 I ever spent.

Watched this video. Seemed like a fairly balanced review. I like when he placed the receivers, bolts and carriers next to each other for a direct comparison.

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    Mine runs perfectly with or without a suppressor. My last three shots today at one hundred yards went into a half inch group. 1.5x5 Leupold, resting over my pack off a standing bench I made.
    Hope to change to a scout scope and good iron sights.
    Just curious why you want to switch to Scout Scope? I had a Steyr Scout for years, but I found LPV work much better overall for me than Scout Scope, now only types of guns I'd prefer Scout Scope for would be if adding Scope to something like Garand or military bolt action where I want to still be able to use stripper clips.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Just curious why you want to switch to Scout Scope? I had a Steyr Scout for years, but I found LPV work much better overall for me than Scout Scope, now only types of guns I'd prefer Scout Scope for would be if adding Scope to something like Garand or military bolt action where I want to still be able to use stripper clips.
    As a user of scout since the 90s I agree with @Dov

The scout scope filled a need when Jeff Cooper started using them in the 1970s/1980s. However that need has since been better met with modern reflex/red dot sights and LOVOs.

I also suspect Cooper being cross eye dominant was a factor in his preference for forward mounted optics.

SFAR

I’m not a fan of a scope in my face. I’m 6’5” and have had posterior cervical fusion from C2 through T2. A conventional mounted scope is always too close. The scout scope has worked perfectly for me for many years.
    Attempting to find “iron sights” Is frustrating. Most are too crude, adjustments are sloppy. Still looking.
    You can’t run fast enough to give me a red dot sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    I’m not a fan of a scope in my face. I’m 6’5” and have had posterior cervical fusion from C2 through T2. A conventional mounted scope is always too close. The scout scope has worked perfectly for me for many years.
    Attempting to find “iron sights” Is frustrating. Most are too crude, adjustments are sloppy. Still looking.
    You can’t run fast enough to give me a red dot sight.
    Both LaRue and ADM (America Defense Manufacturing) make extended / forward cantilever optics mounts for ARs that should help. Geissele makes one too but they are harder to find in stock.

Name:  IMG_1732.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  37.4 KB

LaRue also makes an extended / forward cantilevered riser you might find useful.

https://www.larue.com/products/exten...catinny-riser/

As for red dots, whether one likes them, or understands their application, after 20 years of war, red dots on rifles are vetted, effective and the current professional standard. Even Cooper in his later years acknowledged that Aimpoints on carbines helped our people hit (and kill) the enemy faster in “Mesopotamia.”
    Last edited by HCM; 07-16-2023 at 02:45 PM.

Modern red dots deliver most if not all of what Cooper described as the ideal rifle sight.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As a user of scout since the 90s I agree with @Dov

The scout scope filled a need when Jeff Cooper started using them in the 1970s/1980s. However that need has since been better met with modern reflex/red dot sights and LOVOs.

I also suspect Cooper being cross eye dominant was a factor in his preference for forward mounted optics.
    I've read about the scout rifle concept out of pure curiosity for a few years and I came to this conclusion. I think the concept was bred in a time when optics were limited. I really don't see how any lightweight rifle with a quality LPVO doesn't surpass the original concept by a country mile. It is fascinating to study though, as I think Cooper was a deep thinker about concepts and I always appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I've read about the scout rifle concept out of pure curiosity for a few years and I came to this conclusion. I think the concept was bred in a time when optics were limited. I really don't see how any lightweight rifle with a quality LPVO doesn't surpass the original concept by a country mile. It is fascinating to study though, as I think Cooper was a deep thinker about concepts and I always appreciate that.
    I completely agree.

I’ve messed around a little with EER “scout” scopes on bolt action rifles, and come to the conclusion a decently quality 1-6 LPVO with some sort of illuminated reticle (ideally more of a dot than a Christmas tree) is a much better solution than a scout scope.

You can shoot with both eyes open on low power to maintain the same situational awareness as you’d have with a scout scope, although I find the LPVO at 1X is Jess visually obtrusive than a scout scope.

One of the other reasons for scout scopes was to keep the action area open to load with stripper clips. Reliable box magazine fed rifles make this irrelevant.

User Tag List